Thin Mid Range?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by j b scott, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Hey all, I've had an ESP b-205 bass for about 2 months now, and have noticed that it does not cut through well in the midrange. (the Bass has two EMGs and 3 band active EQ)

The Midrange (in the vacinity of the C on the A string) sounds thin, and lower in volume. This occurs on the A and E, particularly the A sting. The B is boomy, and the G and D sound fine.

Since bought, i have changed the original strings which were stainless steel roundwounds (which i didn't like at all, and which also had the problem) to D'addario Nickel plated roundwounds (EXP[extended play] 170-5, .045 - .130)

While the tone is slightly closer to what i was looking for, the weak midrange is still an issue.

Note this is with the EQ boosting the Mid, and the Amp setting boosting also.

Another thing which may be of little consequence; my bass has the string through option, which i have not utilized this time, since the guy at the shop said it would reduce the string life, (since it bends them more to go through).

I do not know much about strings since experimentation is expensive,
    but i was thinking that to remedy the problem, my next set would be of a thicker gauge (except for the B which i wouldn't mind to be less think) which may help the thin sound?! and also Flatwound Steel, which i hope will boost the mids?

More specifically the
    "La Bella deep talking bass extra long stainless steel flatwounds .049 - .128"

The extra long so that i can use the string through function.

So i guess the questions are:
    1) am i on the right track here at all? (with guage / flatwound idea)?
    If YES
    2) are the stings i have mentioned what you would think would solve the problem (ie would they boost the midrange)? or other strings?
    3) should i use the string through option?

note: i realize/hope that switching from roundwounds to flats will change the tone to be less bright and more punchy with less sustain, and this is actually what i am looking for more or less. but of most importance is to get rid of the thin sound which i know is not the amp since i play it through other amps.

Phew! that was a huge post, and if you read it: praise the lord!!

and any suggestions will be welcomed!
    :) :)
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Your string idea is good, but before you do that try adjusting the pickups. If you tend to keep them panned 50:50 then you could try tilting the bridge pickup towards the lower strings and the neck pickup towards the higher strings. Experiment. Also look at the way you pluck, try plucking nearer the bridge for more midrange.