Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thin, narrow neck with high fretboard radius

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turkish, Jun 22, 2003.

1. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    does any one know of a maker known for thin, narrow necks with high fretboard radius?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The bass I know with the highest radius fretboard is Atlansia. It resembles an upright board to some degree. It's also variable radius (conical). Here's one that sold out of Bunnybass - so, of course there are some good pictures.

atlansiabunny

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Ken Smith basses seem to fit that description.

A fretboard with a high radius will be more flat. A fretboard with a low radius will be more curved like a URB.

4. I'll throw Sheldon Dingwall's basses in this as well. His bass have very thin compound radius necks, which max around 25. Pretty flat.

as an FYI, there is another thread just today asking a very similar question, its got a bunch more responses

5. There obviously seems to be some confusion about what you mean by "high radius". Many of us would take that to mean a rather flat neck, i.e. a fretboard with a radius that's a high number of inches. However, pilotjones has clearly interpreted it to mean that you want a fretboard with a lot of curve to it (a "high" curve?), something very upright-ish, and in conjuction with your request for a narrow board, that makes some sense.

Which one are you really looking for?

Mike

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That's right. I figured turkish meant "arching up high," which results from a low-number radius dimension.