Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thin Neck 5-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ancient Mariner, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Are there any non-custom shop 5-string off-the-shelf basses made that have thin, fairly wide necks with flat undersides? Lakland comes very close to what I’m talking about – are there any others like this?

TIA

2. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    The Pedulla Raptures with the 19mm string spacing at the bridge have some pretty shallow, wide necks. I find them to be a perfect fit.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Lull P5 I used to own had a shallow neck profile: it was the slimmest of any fiver I've owned, and as slim as any I've played. Note: according to BP, the P5 profile is now thicker than it used to be, but the vintage J five string is slim. Contact Mike for further information:

http://www.mikelull.com/

P.S. Mike Lull does custom work, but has plenty of standard "off the shelf" models, including those I mentioned. I don't know what your budget is, but FYI Lull basses are more expensive than Fender, but less expensive than Sadowsky...

4. Zon

5. Alembic Epic 5 strings. They're everywhere, and cheap for an Alembic. I've seen them for as low as $700 used. Sound great too.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Tobias basses have very thin necks.

7. Yeah, Zon is a good choice.
    The Fender Marcus Miller V also has a very nice neck.
    The BN-5 or BNF-5 from F Bass also have nice thin necks.

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    MTDs and Pedullas are thin and wide.

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    All the MTD imports (Beast, Kingston, etc.) have exactly the neck profile you describe.

10. I second that for the MTD. I have a kingston 5 and the neck is much more shallower than my F's.

Conklin groove tools can also do the job perfectly. I've had a 4 banger in the past. It was exactly the way to describe the neck: Wide and shallow

11. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Wow! Many thanks to all who responded to this inquiry...looks like I've got a bunch of research/trying out to do.

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I was going to mention the Cirrus but I see you already have one :D Peavey USA Millenniums if you can get them have great necks and they show up on evil bay all the time and are generally inexpensive.

13. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Real Curbows-
    Really wide
    Really flat

Peace

14. Pedulla Thunder bass is also very wide and flat. The neck seems to be somewhat sensitive to changes in the weather. I've had to adjust my truss rod at least 3 to 1 over my Roscoe's. However the Roscoe's aren't exactly wide and flat but they blow the Pedulla away in tone and versatility.

15. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have an amber colored mtd grendel 5 with a maple fretboard. Came stock with barts and active setup with 3 way switch. Wide and thin neck and you can find the same neck on the older Beast which was a passive bass. Th grendel is now being sold as the MTD Saratoga. :hyper:

16. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Oh baby, I love the neck on my Pedulla Thunderbass. It is more of a shallow v shape, as opposed to a c shape. if you want a c, i also love the necks on Stingray 5's

17. I'm shocked no one has mentioned the Ibanez BTB series. I own a 1206 and it is very wide (19mm) and quite flat. Very comfortable for any style.