Thin-necked 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bill7122, Apr 24, 2003.

1. bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    What would the TBers consider to be the 5-string bass with the narrowest neck. I have small fingers, and like the fender jazz 4-string neck. I'm considering a JazzV. Would there be other options?

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Soundgears are infamous for their skinny necks and tight string spacing. If you really want to get to check one of those out.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Peavey makes some very narrowly spaced 5 strings. Fender Jazz V basses are famous for huge chunky necks. Personally I love that. :)
  4. My Zon Sonus 5 have a relatively thin neck.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    early ESP 5 stringers. Essentialy a 4 string neck with 5 strings on it.
  6. Yep, that's strange, since the 4-string Jazz has such a thin neck.

StingRay5s have quite a thin neck, and the aforementionned Ibanez Soundgear. My Godin BG5 has the perfect neck profile for my mitts (quite thin but flatter than the SR5).
  7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Pedulla or Sukop.
  8. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    The Q5 has a pretty narrow neck, I believe.
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Its been awhile since I checked out specs and actually mesured each, but If I recall correctly both the 4 and 5 string Fenders have 3/4 inch string spacing, so it makes sense why the 4 is nice and slim and the 5 is big like it is.

Some 5's with thin necks are Ibanez Soundgears, Peavey Cirrus, Hartke, Spector NS-2000 series also have slim necks IMO.
  10. I like you have really small hands. I started with a Hagstrom 4 string. It had to have the skinniest neck on the face of the earth. It got stollen and I ended up with a Fender P Bass. Wide neck for a 4 string. But, since it was all that I had I learned to deal with it. When I switched to 5 string I started with an Ibanez 405. The neck wasn't any wider than my 4 string P bass, but, the strings were so close together that I never felt like I could dig in and really play anything. Then one day I got a wild hair and ordered a MM StingRay5 sight unseen from Sam Ash. It felt like 1/2 a baseball bat for a while but little by little I got use to it and found that left hand wasn't as tired after a 4hr gig as it use to be with the Ibanez (go figure) I'm not sure just what it is about that neck but I never seem to get tired from playing it. Even though it isn't the slimmest neck in the shed I think you should give a SR5 a try.
  11. The Rickenbacker 5s have the tightest spacing I've every played. It was an older model...I think a 4003/5....I think they discontinued it, though. I'd agree with GreyBeard, though. That tight spacing can be more fatiguing than a big neck.

12. I have a Warwick Streamer Standard 5 that I'm trying to sell. It has pretty tight spacing.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Quanta are 1-7/8" at nut, which is so-called "wide". However bridge spacing is 17mm, which is on the narrow side.

The narrowest 5-string I ever played was an early Steinberger 5, which had 5 strings in the space of the already-narrow 4-string neck.
  14. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I'm a little confused. Is he looking for something thin from the top of the fingerboard to the back of the neck, or from side to side? It seems like some people are naming wide and thin necks and some are naming skinny but thick necks. Does that make sense?

15. bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    I'm talkin' about the width of the fretboard, not the depth of the neck. Hope that makes more sense
  16. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    like the scale? 34''35''36''? if that, the Ibanez BTB (405=lower model--, 1005=higher) BTB 1005 is a really good bass and has a 35'' scale. _-soto-_
  17. I know the problem of finding a good thin neck...
    When I started out my quest for a bass I was thinking I wanted the thinnest neck possible, but then I realized that playability was also a very big factor, and I realized that I like my neck not necesarilly pencil thin, but I like my fretboard really really flat. With that discovery, I settled on the Modulus line. Graphite doesn't "breathe" like wood does, so once you set it up, it stays set up.

So my vote goes to modulus or zon.
  18. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    fwiw I like em wide but if you want thin you should check out G&L basses great bass made by Leo and real thin neck for five. In fact from 1988 to 1991 there was a L5000 model it was a P style 5 with the thinnest neck I've seen.
  19. I have an Ibanez SR645 and the neck is awesome, it feels like some 4 strings I've played. Quite impressive for a 5 string bass