Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Thin" Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Mar 2, 2003.

1. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I play a Ken Smith 5 through an Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp and QSC poweramp through an Eden 410 cab. I love the sound that I've been able to dial in but noticed that notes on the "D" and "G" strings sound very thin and metallic(?). The "B", "E", and "A" strings sound great.

I have my pre set with the funk settings that boost bass to about 75%, boosts treble, slightly cuts mids, and notches out 800mhz.

Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me get a better sound out of the D and G strings?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    roll back the tweeter? my Demeter's tweeter is very subtle up close, but 10 ft. out, its like hiss city. just a random thought.

3. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    Thanks, I'll try it. It actually sounds pretty good up close, but I was using wireless when I noticed the difference. Thanks for the tip!

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I suspect that the bass boost you're using is fatterning up the lower strings but not really affecting the higher ones and the cut mids and 800hz notch are taking more body out of the higher strings. Try flattening out your eq slightly and see if the sound/balance improves.

Alex

5. Joe'sBass

Joe'sBass

Mar 3, 2003
    I've always found Smiths and Warwicks to be thin sounding in the top end - I play a Warwick though, so I actually like the sound. It's got a certain "plink" to it that sits it nicely in the mix...

The Smiths have such a strong midrange voicing...you'd really have to sweep through a parametric or semi-parametric EQ and find what's missing from your tone in order to give it more fatness.

My feeling is that you are fighting the sound that Ken built into his basses

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I completely agree. Try more front pickup, and vary your plucking attack, both where and how...

7. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I agree awith van on this one. I had the same prob with my roscoe but i shifted my fingers more toward the neck and bam...problem (pretty much)solved