1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thin-sounding G string/thin sounding high notes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, May 10, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I noticed that on my bass the G string can sound kinda weak. Ideas on how to remedy this (strings, preamp, adjusting settings on amp/bass eq, etc.?

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    What kind of bass is it ? Often the fix for me is a simple pickup height adjustment and usually backing down the bass side a hair will even it out .

3. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Ibanez SR300 with onboard preamp.

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As fretno said, try adjusting the pickup closer to the strings on the G string side.

If that doesn't work try a string set with a slightly heavier D & G, like Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, which are low to high .100, .80, .65, .45, as opposed to a set that is .100, .80, .60, .40, for example. The slightly larger D & G help them sound more even with the lower strings.

In fact, strings can make a major difference. I've found that TI & DR strings both tend to be very even sounding across the strings.

5. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    +1 on the aforementioned options. What you can try as well is cut the bass on your EQ a bit and add some mid/high, but I think adjusting your pickup is the most effective option.

6. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    you might be over-EQing, which was what happened to me... too much bass and treble ;)

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

That was my first thought. Yes, it's possible that the problem is mechanical (string/pickup height), but mid-scooped tones that can give clarity to low notes will often make notes on the G string disappear in the mix. Try boosting low mids (200-350Hz range, thereabouts).

8. The G string will always sound a lot thinner than the B or E, unless it's a P bass, then it sounds a lot more evenly thick across all of the strings.

bassomane likes this.
  9. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    My first thought was strings. But if its not noticeable when playing acoustically it probablly wont be the strings, so see if you can notice it when not plugged in to possibly rule out strings. Having said that if you havent changed them in a while, do so anyway.

10. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Several more clarifications:

1) Yes when I play acoustically I don't notice anything so it's probably something else.

2) Strings are original from when I bought the thing. Given the date of manufacture (March 2009) they have probably been on there since that time. Of course I'm still not sure what strings I'd want to install anyway...

3) Adjusted pickup height and lowered the action (the latter for other reasons) and when playing in a band setting I don't think there was an issue. Wasn't really paying attention though.

4) Part of the problem is that my bass has notched treble and bass knobs so I know which ones are which. But instead of having a mid knob Ibanez says it's a "style sweeper" that "sweeps" between "fingerstyle" and "slap" and I have never been able to determine which direction boosts mids and which cuts mids. Either way I have it on "full blast" to the left but I have no idea what it's doing otherwise. Any Ibanez SR owners know what's going on?

11. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    Try changing strings dude and see what happens.. :)

12. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    All suggestions so far are good but judging from you 2 points above I will add:

1) Maybe you need fresh strings? Those have been on over a year, I suggest changing them.

2) I believe full blast to the left is scooping the mids. I find that I get a better sound with that knob somewhere like 30% from the mid boost (30% clockwise or to the right I guess). Full blast either way is a bit extreme - you either get a very bassy but boomy and somewhat lifeless sound or a somewhat thin sound with the mid boost all the way up.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Press down firmly neck side of bridge on your strings actually bending them over the saddle. New strings can sound bad til u do this. It makes a witness point. A bass can come alive from this procedure.

14. In addition to the suggestions above, I have noticed that if my action is too low on the thinner strings, fret buzz will kill tone and output. Even a very slight fret buzz that is hard to notice or doesn't bother you can rob the string of the necessary vibration to put out a strong signal.

Check neck relief and action on that string.

15. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    One other recent observation: when playing with my bass acoustically just now the G string does sound weaker. Playing with an amp just makes it easier to hear :-D