Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thin Sounding G String

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ConeyIslandJoe, Oct 16, 2005.

1. I'm presently playing an 87 Ric 4003 [all stock] and my G string is very thin sounding. It gets lost [thins out] and seems to disappear, sound wise. I've tried adjusting the p/u's closer where they almost touch the string, but this does not help. Other than that small problem, I really loke the sound and the feel of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    CIJ

2. G strings tend to be a bit thin, try some good ol fashioned Y fronts, or a thong if you want to be inbetweenish

Sorry, im really sorry about that

3. Not PU related but a change of string gauge might help. I used to use .045 to .105 but now that I use .045 to .100 I get more balance from string to string. Too much bass in your signal can also produce this problem.

4. Um may be that the string dampner is engaged on the g side of the neck. If the ricy bridge is stock there are two bolt adjustors on either side of the rubber dampening system. +1 on the amp settings too, alot of people hear the rick sound as too thin and too much additive bass eq can really wipe out the g string ,try normalizing your eq, and tweaking in just ebnough bass as to not unbalance your volume string to string.

5. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I have/had a similar problem on my SR4. I bumped the G string from .045 to .050 and raised the pup a little on that side. Seems to be a little stronger now.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

seems almost invariably the G string fading for me has been an EQ issue. You're talking about guitar frequencies at 80+ Hz which should have no trouble cutting through the mix - especially on a Ric. I have a set of Ric pups but never owned a Ric bass but that damper deal sounds like an issue to rule out for sure. Also look at the string fit at the nut and bridge and general response of the string to plucking compared to the others.

Of the 75+ pups I've had, I can't recall any off hand that wouldn't cut on the G string. Not that uncommon with pups where to get cut on the top half the bottom fell off unacceptably or more so than I desired but I could EQ the G to cut.

If you've got an amp with a presence control cut if off or cut it back substantially and see what you get.

Just to be sure, put the volume real low on the amp and take a small steel allen wrench (pickup screw, whatever) and tap on each pole to verify fairly equal output. A long shot with both pups on but not out of the realm of possibility if this occurs using only one pup.