Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thin sounding GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lsu921, Apr 15, 2004.

1. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I've been trying to get a good warm, fat sound out of my GK700 since I bought it in January with no luck. What could I buy to fatten this thing up. It sounds so thin and sterile to me. Would a SABDDI or Aguilar DB924 help this thing out.

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Is it a Mark I or Mark II series? What are your settings?

3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I set my eq on the amp to 12 o'clock, and almost peg the master volume, and boost is almost as high. The I turn up the master volume as needed. My sound is pretty rich and warm I guess. It's tone is great.

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Try turning the Contour knob up to between 9 o'clock and noon. If that doesn't do it, try turning down the high mids a bit.

5. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    It's a Mark II. The newest model. I have the Contour and Presence set to about 1 or 2 o'clock. The EQ is right around 12 except the treble, which is a little lower (10 or 11). I have the Boost knob cranked wide open.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Try backing off the boost a bit...that's a lot of gain to be adding in and will affect your tone radically. Somewhere around noon on the boost will probably fill out the tone.

The GK manual suggests starting with volume, boost and master all around noon. You might also see how the rig sounds with the 4/5 String button pressed in.

Finally, check your right hand...if you play too hard or too much toward the bridge, your tone will also get thinner and clangier.

7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've got the same amp bro, look at the manual that came with the amp and set the amp to GK's Reggae setting. It's like Treble at 9, high mids 11, low mids 1 and bass 3. Set the contour all the way to the right as far as it will go, then set the presence at about 10-11 and you should be set man. That setting should be phat, sweet and growly. Oh yeah, and put the master and boost knobs at 3. Go get em tiger.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Perhaps the speakers are out of phase???

9. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    I run a 700rb115 combo, using settings very much the same as everybody has suggested. The amp does everything I want , warm, fat, growly, honky etc. I use a jazz v active deluxe and the other day, after 2yrs, looked at its control guide properly, discovering that what I thought was active gain contol was in fact Mid Boost! Now I'm even happier with the sounds. Interesting about GK's suggested settings, my combo had no such info, how can I get copy of these?

10. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you can download gk product manuals at their website www.gallien-krueger.com . and i'd never describe the tone from my gk 1001rb as thin or sterile, and i've also got the eq set just about flat. :bassist:

11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    What cabinet(s) are you using with the GK head?

12. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    sansamp di.

13. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I'm using an Avatar B410 cabinet with it. I thought about the SABDDI to fatten it up. I've never used one, but I hear they do wonders.

14. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    RalphDaddy,

That raggae setting has just about done the trick. I threw in my NE-1 EQ and it's plenty fat now. thanks

15. Just curious what your settings on the NE-1 are.

Thanks

16. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Deep 5-7 depending on the mood I'm in. When slapping the head actually sounds better without the NE-1, but better with the NE-1 for fingerstyle playing.

17. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I have an old 400RB and never use the contour (preset scoup button on this model). To compensate, I turn the bass to about 4:00 and it sounds nice and full through an Eden 410XLT. The reggae setting is a little darker than what I use- boosting low mids a tad, backing off on the treble a tad, and high mids relatively flat. I suspect if I were using the newer, more powerful 700 or 1001, the booty would be even more solid. These are incredible amps. BTW, I barely have my boost on, just enough to warm it , but not enough to intrduce much distortion.

Once your ear gets used to the sound without contour, you will find all of that sound that was being dialed out by scouping it with the contour. I first discovered this on my Eden. Remember, what sounds good without the band often sounds lifeless WITH the band. All the good stuff is in the midrange, just learn how to tweak it for the proper balance between cutting through the mix and getting a good solid bass sound.

18. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Anytime bro, I've literally got the exact same setup as you 700RB-II into an Avatar B410 and I posted this exact same thread about two months ago before I really looked at the manual and decided on the Reggae setting. For slap it's a good idea to boost the high and low mids but the rest of the time it's amazing how thunderous it can be. Enjoy my good man.

19. blamusic

blamusic

Mar 25, 2004
    I think it's more of a guitar and cabinet problem, because I have the same GK and it kick ass (I am playing a Warwick Corvette proline and use an Aguilar gs410).

I was just wondering: how would you guys set the amp if you needed a trip-hop sound (massive attack, portishead, even Alanis Morisette unplugged with Chris Chaney on bass)? Although I am in love with my sound any info could be of aid.

Thanks