Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thin strings for extended-range bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by therealting, May 6, 2004.

1. Hi,

I am trying to find a source for the highest string of my 8-string bass (tuning BEADGCEA). The gauge would be around a 0.18" I think - I have tried guitar strings but they are generally just a little bit short.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that sells extra-thin long-scale strings?

Thanks,
    Johann

2. Try www.sitstrings.com

Shoot them an email and they should be able to provide you with anything you need.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    My 8 string Basses are tuned Low B E A D G C F and High Bb
    The Gauges are 125,85,65,45,30,25,17plain and 15plain
    and their made by SIT Strings.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    J, how does that plain 17 sound ? I just got a wound and a plain from Ken but haven't tried the plain yet.

5. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    What brand have you tried in the guitar department? For what it's worth, d'Addario's are long enough for my 35 inch scale.

You might want to try Labella. Juststrings has a plain .016 in it's single string selection. You could add that to one of there 7 string sets. I've never tried them though, but they're on my list of strings to try.

take care.
    PL

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Hey Don the set I use is well Balanced and even(the high string out put is not harse and brash and the low end out put is not muddy)

7. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    hey jauqo, how's the tension of the B? I always find myself thinking is a bit to loose compared to the other strings, especially if you have .105 for the E. I'm use to a .130 for the B, the E is usually a .100 so a .125 always seems to small to really be as tight as a the E and the other strings.

PL

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Hey Balor,I prefer light gauge B strings(.120-.125)they are not floppy or to tight at all(at least not for my Playing) and this is on 34"scale Basses.

9. Ok I've emailed SIT strings, just waiting for them to reply. Bill Conklin has said that he carried strings as thin as .011! So I should be fine even if SIT don't get back to me.

10. Called Conklin and got an 8-string set and a few spares. Hurray! I'll let you know how they turn out.

11. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    What are the gauges of this set? Do you know how makes them? I know that Conklin used to work with Labella or Dean Markley and that he was supposed to switch to SIT, but I'm not sure it happened.

thanks
    PL

12. I think it's 15 and 22, and then a standard Snakeskins 27-127 6-string set. I don't know who makes them.

13. right now Bill can sell you either the Snakeskins or SITS.

from the lows,

Stew

14. Hi Stew - do you happen to know what the main differences between them are?

15. are you asking for the differences between the Snakeskins and the S.I.T. strings?

if so, I think the difference is like that between, say, the strings on a new Fender or a Yamaha and a pair of new DR strings.

certainly both are fine, but they perform and age differently. I am totally sold on the S.I.T. brand. for my taste and style they are about perfect. they're a bit "sticky" out of the box and they take a bit to break in, but they last magnificently and age wonderfully.

hope that was some help,

from the lows,

Stew

16. I can't help thinking I paid over the odds. An 8-string set, and a few spares, for £74 inc shipping? That's like $130!! Unless that's normal...

17. horribly exorbitant but unfortunately market value. remember, the number of people playing them at present, sets with 7 or more strings, is really not high.

your most cost effective solution is to get them direct from Bill Conklin, I believe.

from the lows,

Stew

18. Exactly who I ordered them from... and then found out they were stainless steel too. :(

Oh well, better than no strings.

19. wow! that is crazily expensive but I am coming to learn that shipping things overseas is just expensive in general. when I sold a bass to a cat in Portugal I had to pay more than $350US in shipping!

from the lows,

Stew

20. Shipping is certainly a factor, but I did order two heavy Kahler bass bridges from Warmoth, and the shipping wasn't that high. I think maybe they were FedEx urgent or something. Will remember for next time!

But I can't wait to string my bass up with 8 strings! Now just have to wait for all the mods to be complete.