1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

thin veneer source (other than "The Veneer store")

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rickett Customs, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Hey,
    I'm looking for another source for thin veneers (1/46" to 1/42" thick), with no backing (paper or adhesive).

Apparently, "the veneer store" is out of the veneers that I'm looking for. Most searches yield paper backed or adhesive backed veneer, which I do not want.

Thanks

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    What specie(s) are you wanting?

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
  4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    The typical ones that I pick up are:

Dyed (black) Poplar

Ash or maple (either one)

"Jarrah", or "Red heart" (either one)

5. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
  6. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Check out Carlton McClendon's Rare Woods and Veneer in Atlanta. The owner, Richard, is a good friend of mine and has a great selection of single ply veneers. I get all of my exotic wood from him including black dyed poplar in 1/16" and 1/32" thickness. He doesnt have an online catalog but you can call and he'll ship whatever you need. Number and contact info on their website.

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    wellllll looky who popped up from the acoustic doldrums to slum with the 'lectric kids....LOL

Hiya Brandon

8. I have a local supplier that has the most crazy veneers you will ever see cut, quilted maple that is unreal, curly koa, curly walnut, the works... Lots of his stuff is so figured though its a bit wavy and not super flat, if you need anything let me know... Its nuts, I will try to take some pictures next time I go in!

9. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Thanks JC. Our little tornado incident last april forced me to briefly move in with a kind but technically unaware family member so I've been relegated to internet purgatory on a non smart phone. I've been lurking and observing from the shadows but I'll be back on board soon. I've been busy since april and I've got a few new creations that may be of interest. Threads are in the near future. But enough about me and back to the veneer!

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Ok,
    Sent a request to Certainly