Things about a player you like, but which they aren't stereotypically known for

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by alexssandro, May 1, 2001.

1. OK, it's a lot easier than the title. Here's an example:

It seems like Victor Wooten is stereotyped as a "solo player" or he is known exclusively for his up/down thumbing. I think all of that is really great, but I really like him as an all-round player. I like the composition of his basslines and his tunes. His song, "Yin & Yang" has an intriguing opening melody/phrase. His solo in that song isn't anything flashy. It's just a well-composed, solid solo. Pretty diatonic. Sounds like it tells a story.

Another player that comes to mind is Marcus Miller. When we think of him, his funky slapping comes to mind. But I also really dig his fretless playing. Check out the melody and his solo on the tune "Moons" from The Sun Don't Lie. WOW!!! The fluidity of the solo is comparable to Jaco's solo on "(Used to be a) Cha Cha."

Does anyone want to expel any stereotypes or shed some light on any less recognized sides of any players?
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Listen to Jack Bruce on the piano sometime. For that matter, compare most of his solo material to his more well-known stuff from Cream or West, Bruce and Laing.
  3. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Ian Anderson's guitar playing. (he counts, sort of--he played bass on most of Jethro Tull's "Stormwatch" album)
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Will Lee: underrated singer.

Marcus Miller: underrated bass clarinetist.

Mark King: underrated whatever.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Everything Christopher said.
  6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Steffan from dave mathews band! Everyone knows him as bieng a very slow quite player but i love to see him slap and finger funk!
  7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Wharf, the Klingon from Star Trek is also a Bass Player, I believe he sat in with either the Tonight Show band or the Arsenio Hall show band, when he was a guest. But I guess that's the question taken the other way around. :D

More to the point, Stanely Clarkes URB playing.

8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Dennis Rodman, aka Bassist!

Keanu Reaves, aka Bassist!

Jerry, aka race car driver...

Hmmm...questions...all sorts of questions...:eek:
  9. I like Les Claypool's singing... for real! :)
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    John Paul Jones for piano/keyboards and arranging the strings for Led Zeppelin, in addition to being their bassist.
  11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I recently heard Gary Sinise (you know, Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump) play bass on the "Regis and Kelly Show." I think I could get into what he's trying to do.
  12. bziff

May 3, 2001
    Is everyone forgetting about the most important thing a bassist can do? What our job is? It's the groove, kids, it's all in the groove. If a bassist can't hold a groove, he's a guitarist (he he)!!!

One bassist who I really admire for his groove is George Porter, Jr. Every time I see that man live, the entire crowd is hopping to what he's doing. The same thing is true for Chris Wood. Bassists who control a show and force the audience to dance and have a great time are my heroes. This is something that can be lost in the onslaught of notes from the Victor Wootens of the world. (This is not to say Victor doesn't have groove, b/c we all know he does, but people trying to emulate him lose site of this.) Another good example is Mike Gordon of Phish. I don't know if anyone in here has been to a Phish show, but when you see 40,000 people dancing to the grooves he lays down, you really understand the power of the bass.
  13. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry bziff, but I think you missed the point of this thread. Bassists can do anything! Play basketball, act, sing, produce, or even be accountants (like me;)) How else do you think I could support my habit?
  14. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Am I the only one who's REALLY tired of his slap/pop masturbation? OK I admit, he can write nice bass lines, nice songs and he has a beatiful voice, but his slap solos make me want to slap him.
  15. bziff

May 3, 2001
    I just re-read the initial posting about Victor Wooten and I believe that I am on the right path here. I don't think that the guy was discussing how well Victor eats a burrito or anything. Just the fact that while Wooten is hailed for his amazing technique, his compositional talents and melodic sensibility is generally overlooked.

This is not to say that what bassists do for their day gig is not an interesting topic, I just don't think that that's what this thing started as.

I work for a music internet advertising company to pay the bills, by the way.
  16. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on your job! I meant mine as a joke...not to say that I'm not an accountant, because I am. But, the whole thread was meant to discuss what bass players do that they are not as well known for. I was taking this to an extreme by saying that Dennis Rodman and Keanu Reaves play bass, because they're not well known for that, though I hear that Keanu's band is doing well.:eek:

But, the point of the thread, as I read it, was to get us to discuss what bass players do that they're (we're) not as well known for. You brought up the point that bass player's main role is to groove. While I cannot dispute that, what I can do is ask you how that fits into the topic of "okay, so we're groovers. Big deal. What else do we do?":confused:

That's why I questioned what you said and thought you missed the point.
  17. Really!?!... What if you're not playing groove oriented music? Maybe someone should call up the bass player for Low and tell him he needs to start grooving.
  18. bziff

May 3, 2001
    well, the way I define groove is not just the common understanding as just pretty much funk music. Everything has a groove to it. Even death metal has a groove. The way I look at it, everything is groove oriented, they're just different kinds of grooves. What the bassist in the group defines is what that groove is. If the bassist is a hard rocker and is constantly on top of the beat, pushing, then the groove is going to be real rockin' kind of thing. It's kind of hard to explain.

Also, to RAM, I hear where you're coming from (and Keanu Reeves is definitely a tragedy). I guess I just feel like a lot of people starting on bass look to their heroes for technique a lot of the time. Everyone loves Jaco, and Jaco's technique was unquestionably outstanding, but you can find players out there with just as good technique, but don't have that certain something that makes them great. What is often overlooked and super fundamental to becoming a great bass player is locking in to the groove. There's no way to quantify it, so it's hard to talk about in exact terms. But anyone who's been there, or really got off listening to someone who is there, definitely understands. Maybe this is off the topic already. I don't even know anymore. I apologize if I'm changing the discussion. I just love to talk about this stuff.
  19. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I agree that a groove is very hard to describe. If it weren't, perhaps it would be easier to teach and learn to groove! I've had enough difficulty learning how to groove in my 18 years of playing!:eek:

But, there are definitely bassists who do not groove. You can argue both sides of the fence on whether that detracts from a song or actually adds to its flavor.

True. But, that's how I learned to play: by emulating my heroes. Then, when I grew as a bass player, I began to recognize other types of music and different bass players as having their own unique merits. I think that only comes with maturity (not to be confused with age).

On a more serious note than Keanu or Dennis, one of my all-time favorites is John Entwistle. He is, IMO, the greatest rock bassist to walk the earth! He's even won numerous accolades for such. But, that's what he's known for. He's not as well known for being a singer, a french horn player (and other brass instruments), a pianist, a songwriter, an artist, and an excellent producer!

But, I's easy to get off topic when we find a subject we're passionate about. So I'm leaving it at this.