1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Things any good bassist should be able to do.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Waytootrue, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    It doesn't matter what those things are. Colleges don't want them, and probably wouldn't recognise them anyway. The few at the top are not what the OP asked about

2. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Yeah, it didn't work for that guy with the long beard in your avatar.

3. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I am a little bit confused. Usually auditions for admission are held months earlier than now. Is this more of an assessment session?

Ekulati likes this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    So the lesson is, if you are as talented and driven as Jaco or Jamerson, then you don't need to go either. That doesn't apply to a whole lot of people on this forum. ;) Just sayin'

5. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    I assume you're referring to the bottom bass, which is indeed a Fender. Custom shop for Tye Zamora of Alien Ant Farm.

6. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    It might be more pertinent to ask how many of those heavies finished college. Berklee especially has a long tradition of pros recruiting students from the school. The very first full scholarship award Berkelee gave went to Nick Brignola. The story continues here:

"That same year, Brignola won a world-wide competition for the first ever scholarship to be awarded by Berklee College in Boston, edging out pianist Joe Zawinul. He did not remain long at Berklee, however, but did record with Herb Pomeroy in Boston before moving on to play with vibraphonist Cal Tjader in San Francisco, then returned to Troy (NY) to set up his own band."

I went to college for electrical engineering (in Troy) but exited early by a side road when Nick started hiring me for gigs during his fusion period. That band was quite an education - all the other players were at Nick's level.

Jim Carr likes this.
  7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Count me as one of the many who went to music college but didn't finish. When there started to be more road gigs than I could do and keep up the course work I left. But it's doubtful those gigs would have been there if I hadn't learned the fundamentals and been schooled in some of the realities of being a working player by the working players that were teaching. I wasn't suggesting for a nanosecond anyone needed to finish. It was more a response to people saying going to school's a waste of time. A Jazz or Commercial Music program is kind of a unique and magic place in the world of academia in that it's mostly about learning and not so much the piece of paper. Hardly anyone hiring you for a playing gig cares if you've been to school or not.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    IamGroot, Jim Carr and okcrum like this.
  8. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm knocking the people that use the "Jaco only needed four strings" line.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My wife is a full professor of music at UNT in Denton, TX. She teaches voice. While it is true that some of the very most experienced and talented young musicians don't finish because they are too busy gigging (Jazz, Opera, Broadway, Symphony, whatever), the majority of music students finish and then go on to have careers that are typical. They blend performance and teaching in a mix that suits them. Many make a living doing that, though some don't.

I blended teaching, performance, software consulting, and composition commissions (ok, not that many, lol), to make my way. Lest we forget, a degree in music from a university is a superb education in the arts, history, languages, and college level math and sciences.

Studying music in a University music program is not the same as a Conservatory—not to dis the Conservatories!!! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  10. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Yes I was actually! & Thanks for clarifying as I'm sure I'm not the only one out here wondering.. Awsome!!

BrBss likes this.
  11. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    "Give me the one!"

12. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Six pages in, and I've skipped some posts so forgive me, but did we ever find out from the OP, what kind of college, what kind of degree program, what kind of audition, and what kind of bass?

Seems like everyone is shooting but we don't have a target.

IamGroot likes this.
  13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    One can teach procedures and strategies that increase creative output.
    It starts with the student giving themselves permission to suck.

craigie and fdeck like this.
  14. JoratioMumbles

JoratioMumbles

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    [QUOTE="Waytootrue
    I want to insert one thing in addition that I haven’t seen. I’m 46 and having been on both sides of the audition process, I found that a good personality is a huge deal. I. e. Be a cool guy to hang out with
    Creativity?
    Performance?
    Technique?
    Originality?

You tell me![/QUOTE]

15. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Way back when I auditioned for the college marching and pep bands. Basically we were a training aid for the music school upperclassmen. I was not in the music school or program. I am guessing that the OP might be on a similar path.

16. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    By the clock: on time is late, early is on time.

17. You got to be able to survive with a bad drummer

18. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    It all depends if you're trying to audition and impress, or be part of a band.
    You already have the list for showmanship.
    To be part of a band, you'll need to demonstrate musicianship and the know the songs well.

19. V2G3gGq.

20. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I love you, man.

leftyjohn likes this.