1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Things are starting to look up

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DJ is a new bass player, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I have been dealing with a lot of issues in the last 3 years. I developed a facial paralysis that keeps me from opening my eyes, which led to me losing my job. I got onto disability which paid the bills but not much more.

Then, a year and a half ago, I developed CRPS in my knee, an extremely painful nerve disorder that has kept me from walking much at all. I have lost about 40 pounds, most of it muscle mass.

Then, when I went up to Wisconsin to visit family and friends, my wife told me not to come home, we are getting a divorce. That was in October.

Since then, I have been spending a lot of time with loved ones and I have started seeing doctors up here. I have been racking up the doctor bills and prescriptions have been expensive, but I'm starting to see some results.

The pain in my knee has gone from 8-8.5 down to 7, and I am scheduled to have a sympathetic nerve block injection in a few weeks which should bring the pain down even more.

My left eye and cheek have started to twitch, which gives me hope that I will be able to open my eyes again soon. Also, I saw a doctor who has seen this kind of thing before. I just went through another round of blood tests and will have an MRI on Friday. Hopefully there is something that can be done to speed that process up.

And finally, it looks like my divorce may happen without the need for mediation. It has been amicable for the most part, except for her thinking that I can live with no money for 5 months.

If everything continues as it is going now, I might be an actual human being again by summer. Woo-hoo!

Thanks for reading, I know this ended up to be a long post.

Robert B, Atshen, Mktrat and 10 others like this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Glad to hear boss, hope it keeps getting better.

3. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    ^^^^^^^

Yes. I'll say the same.

4. Thanks for the update, I have been wondering about your progress. I look forward to the day when you can see mine and others posts hands free.

5. Me too. And not having to decide between doing things two handed or blind. Baby steps, but at least they are going forward.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  6. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    Great news. Glad to hear it.

7. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Great news DJ, glad things are looking up. Is it okay that I pray for you?

8. Absolutely, thank you.

S-Bigbottom and slobake like this.
  9. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Sorry to hear all this. I can't imagine having that much dumped on you. You're keeping it positive and that's great. Hope it all turns out the way you want and better. See you in the funny papers.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    How do you read if you can't open your eyes?

-Mike

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Perspective. You just gave me some. Thank you for your positive attitude. You are stronger than you know.

Hang in there! Hopefully when the weather breaks you'll be a new man! Lifting you up.

12. I have to hold an eye open with my finger. Luckily, I can type by touch, so as long as the cursor is where it needs to be, I'm good.

S-Bigbottom and MJ5150 like this.
  13. Thanks guys. I have to be honest, this summer was a rough one and I was not in a good place. The change of scenery and just being back home with friends and family has done wonders. I can't wait until the divorce is over and I have say over what I spend my money on. My first big purchase will be a bass so I can start practicing again. Hopefully that will be by the end of February.

S-Bigbottom, BurnOut and GregC like this.
  14. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I am so sorry for all your pains and challenges
    I can relate to some degree

I hope you are getting fair support from your wife...she owes you....make sure you get what you are entitled to

After my devastations, I have a new life, wife and although health is worse. I am very happy and secure with a new but different life

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Impressive sir.
    I hope it all works out for you as you hope.
    Thanks for hanging around our crew and trusting us to open up.

-Mike

16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Man DJ, you don't do things small bud :)

Seriously though, it's good to see you kept your chin up through it all. Sometimes that's all we have, control of our mind set. There is a nobility in facing adversity and not giving in to the myriad of vices available. It also seems as though you did indeed luck out with the divorce. I am shamed to admit I have been through two of them. Both were, fortunately, of the amicable variety and I am still best of friends with my 2nd ex. I wish you the same outcome.

You know, looking at the brighter side of things, some of our mugs are not much to peep. Being mostly blind might be a blessing around here :D

Keep on keeping on DJ.

17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    you've had it rough, but at least you're getting some forward momentum - i'll keep a head full of positive thoughts for you.

18. Are you kidding? This crew has been my go-to. Even when I'm not posting, I've been reading. It's good to know that I'm not the only crazy one in this world. :roflmao:

S-Bigbottom and Funky Ghost like this.
  19. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Birds of a feather and all that ;)