Things bassist hate.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by yaboiimizz, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    Yea the last few metal gigs I went to inspired the post.

2. Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    I have 3 DIs on my amp. A stereo pair that is post eq (you can use just one for the mono) and a pre eq mono.
    Every sound man I have worked with has refused the post eq DI.

One of the sound men I worked with regularly would plug in the DI cable into the pre and when he left the stage I would switch it to post. We would then soundcheck and he often said how great he made the bass sound.

3. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    + 1

see now I am thinking Sartori is right and maybe I have just been super lucky (although seems statistically impossible ;) )

refuse to take a post eq DI? why? I guess I avoided that ever coming up by just always sending a DI from a Sans Amp or similar so it wasn't an option ....

4. Westie808

Westie808

Sep 25, 2011
    Amen to that!! How ppl say that playing the bass
    Is incredibly easy to play!! Just feel like slapping them across the face when they say that!!!

5. - People who shout "Freebird!"
    - Guitar Center employees, particularly the visibly drunk Guitar Center employees
    - Music stores that only carry Ibanez products
    - Guitarists with $1k+ pedalboards and no clue how to use them
    - Bands with no stage presence/crowd interaction
    - A truckload of gear and no actual talent
    - Guitar groupies
    - The "guys, look what I can do!" method of playing
    - Passive-aggressive band management
    - Skinny jeans
    - Walking into a venue to find everyone holding a PBR tallboy (i'm a beer snob and really dislike hipsters, it's the violent punk rock nihilist in me)
    - "I've never heard of a bass player named Schecter before, what band is he in!?"

6. TCube

TCube

Sep 1, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I hate it when everyone in the band stops playing under an upright solo. That's a work-around from the old days when recording was done by mics that couldn't transduce the lows, but hey, we're a little beyond that technologically. When that happens, you can't coordinate your ideas with what's going on with other instruments at a given moment - one of the coolest things about improvising.

Heh heh. I turned the tables on 'em though - during a guitar solo, I hit the root on the one and played nothing else. I've never seen a more befuddled look.

7. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007

That is soooooo awesome!

You have my complete and upmost respect, sir. :bassist:

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Originally Posted by TCube...Heh heh. I turned the tables on 'em though - during a guitar solo, I hit the root on the one and played nothing else. I've never seen a more befuddled look...

That's how I get guitar players back from whatever place they've teleported to with their solo. Reels 'em right back in. :D

9. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    That most people, unless they're musical, don't even notice the bass unless it's a solo. Also, my guitarist friend who said "well, the bass is just meant to be in the background playing really simple stuff and roots of chords, while the guitar and vocals are meant to be really mixed to the front and loud and awesome". I wanted to slap her. It's nice to be able to actually hear the bass once in a while. Also, when my band director calls the horns and saxes the "real instruments" (eg can the real instruments play from bar 35). Also drummers who get off tempo, price of strings, when people don't take bass seriously. Mostly though, when people ask me to "slappa da bass" or if I can play Higher Ground.

10. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Your band director is an ass. Shouldn't be a band director if that's his attitude towards an important rhythm section instrument.

Your friend is also quite... er... misguided. Sucks that you have to deal with such attitudes from people.

11. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Yeah, I also ****ing hate that. It totally kills the momentum of the song. And then some idiots have the nerve to say that they don't like bass solos because they kill the momentum of the song. I just think 'Well, they wouldn't if you would at least keep playing chords, you morons.'

12. Seriously?

I have this problem with one local store which only has Fender/Gibson stuff in.

Another frustration is when the price jumps from low-end beginner gear to really high-end stuff in a store, with no in-between gear. Seems to happen more with bass gear than anything else.

I've been in one band where I knew more about the guitarist's pedalboard than he did. It's frustrating because he spent more time messing around with pedals than actually playing.

To be fair, it depends on the crowd as well as the band. Some crowds aren't going to budge regardless of how good the band is

Yep. I've seen guys with this problem.

13. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Bassist for TRIPL3 THR3AT Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    +1!

14. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    People banging on a locked bathroom door (Not stall). It is obviously occupied and if you keep knocking I will take my damn time! DAMN!

15. Guitarists that only know power chords

16. robertusf

robertusf Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Does it count if, as a bassist, I only know how to play power chords on the guitar? :bassist:

17. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    That we are pessimistic creatures and create hundreds - thousands of things that we hate.

18. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    getting a great deal to see an even greater deal come up the moment after; it's like the acid-reflux of GAS.

19. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    When as soon as you get enough money to buy something on the classifieds, it sells. Post 999 btw, pretty cool lol

20. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    Hate not being post 1,000. Guess I am in the clear on this one.

But I do hate waiting....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.