Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Things NOT to buy at wal-mart....MOUNTAIN BIKES

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    So I've wanted a mountain bike to take to work to get some exercise, and enjoy the outdoors. I went to walmart today, and decided to buy one, a pretty sweet looking Mongoose 26" bike. I had a Mongoose Californian BMX when I was younger that was a great bike. I was surprised to see the Mongoose name in walmart, as they were pretty top notch a decade or two ago. I figured they were bought out, outsourced, and probably crap nowadays, but I am not a top cyclist, and figured this would be a decent start to see if this were something I liked or not. It came preassembled, so I took it home, and took the tags and such off of it to take it for a quick ride before I left to take it to work to use. My golden retriever pup wanted to come out, so I let him come with me. 5 minutes after I got home with it, I took it down my road for a quick run, and sammy was running along side me. He got out in front of me aways, and somewhat stopped in front of me when I yelled for him to come back. Lance Armstrong, or whatever cyclist pro they have assembling these bikes at wal mart had the rear brake working about 20%, and the front about 250% OF what the rear was. At that point under hard front braking, the front wheel twisted like a pretzel, locking it up, and throwing me head first over the handlebars. I did a complete end-over-end flip in mid air, and landed flat on my back in the middle of the road. While laying there for a second, I saw the bike flipping over top of me, and my dog running for dear life. How I did not get hurt, amazes me...it was a hardcore wipeout, and had to of looked most impressive.

I carried the bike back home, and took it to work with me. When I got to work, I took the wheel off, straightened it as good as I could, put tons of slack in the front brake, so it will still turn although the wheel turns nothing close to running true. I got it somewhat rideable, and the next 2 minutes, broke one of the nice plastic pedals.

Needless to say, this POS is going back to wally world when I get off of work.

Anyone have any suggestions for a decently built bike for reasonable? I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on something, but need something that will not fall apart or kill me.

2. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    I don't buy anything from wally world, and I never buy things like bikes without trying them out first. But anyway, that musta hurt real good flipping over the bike. Wish I could have been there! :D But that will learn ya not to use the front brakes! ;)

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I normally try to avoid it too. PS, I used both brakes at once, but they were very badly set up, and the front brake wouldn't of been a problem if the front wheel wouldn't of collapsed, and folded in two.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    First of all I'm glad you're not hurt. Secondly you've bought back many memories of a childhood where I spent way too much time riding with my brother and our friends (Playstations were still rare back then). I also had a BMX Mongoose. It was Black with yellow trimmings and as you point out, the hot-rod of the BMX world at the time :)

One of the neighbours had the same experience as you, so we were vigilant from then on. Whenever one of us bought a new bike, we would swarm on it like a F1 pitt crew to give it a service before got ridden, often against the will of the new owner who usually wanted to ride the bike straight away. The brakes were almost always badly set up, and adjustment was crutial. It's actually quite dangerous. Keep this in mind then buying bikes for your children.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    holy ****, I missed that part. It actually buckled under pressure. Oh my God. No amount of brake adjustment was gonna help..........

6. For my Christmas present, my dad wanted to get me a bass from Wal-Mart. FROM WAL-MART!!! He bought my sister an electric guitar from Guitar Center for like, 500 bucks when she was 9 years old. She never lerned to play, so she GAVE it to her friend. I think I know who the favorite child is. :D Anyway, I ended up getting one from Strait Music, thanks mom!

7. when ever I go to walmart I see the guitars they have and can't help but pity the people that end up with them...

8. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I saw 3 guitars hanging on the wall of Radio Shack yesterday.
    That was humorous.

No basses though... Shame.
    "Brand new boutique luthier - R.S. 4 string $1400 OBO"

So, for mountain bikes that don't suck - you start at about $800 CDN (that's, waht, like 600 of your dollars?) Anything less than that and you're really asking for trouble.
    My brother in law has a $4000 bike, he can lift it with two fingers.

9. It's like clothes at Abercrombie and Fitch. They look like they are made with bare scraps of fabric, yet they cost like, 40 bucks for a shirt. :D

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My kids wanted to go check out the Wal Mart guitars... So I let them go take a look and when they get back, my six year old reports "They had a bass! But the bass and the guitar were both not very good..." Yes, he is a smart kid.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ya, I mean I am not by any means the lightest guy in the world, but damn.....hard front braking shouldn't of done anything like that. I am plenty experienced on bikes, and motorcycles to not be so stupid as to flip it like that on brakes alone :)

It's going back to wally world in the morning, for an argument until I get a refund. Cheezewiz is going to loan me his trek for a while to check out.....coolness.

12. food for thought. If you do go and buy a bike from a department store it is worth the extra money for the peace of mind you will get and the safty and assurance of proper function by bringing the bike from the store to a local bike shop to have it fully looked over, assembled, and adjusted properly. but if you can avoid it all together, stay away from department store bikes and just go to your local bike shop and tell them what you are looking to do with you bike, your riding style, and how much you are willing to spend and they will help you out and get you exactly what you want and what they will offer you will ride better, last longer, and be better waranteed than any department store bike you will find. most bike shops have bikes in the upper $100-300 range for beginner or casual cycling bikes. Just return that bike you bought and go to your shop, they will make it worth your while.

13. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I had a very similar experience! I bought my bike at Kmart because I was very poor and my car had broken down and I needed to get to work (20 miles away, bus+bike = 2 hour commute BTW). Anyway, the bike was 100 bux and after fixing a few obvious problems with it, I started riding it to work. Well, for the first week it was fine, then one day I'm crossing the street in a busy intersection and I stand up to get some better speed. BAM! Next thing I know I go head over the handlebars (exactly like you described), flipped over and slammed into the pavement. About 5 cars stopped to ask me if I was OK because it must have looked horrible. Sure felt horrible... I ended up busting up my ankle and knee, along with a huge bruise on my stomach where it slammed into the handlebars. Anyway, I pick myself up and look down at my bike and the chain wheel had broken causing the chain to come off. ARGH! I had to run to the bus stop about 8 blocks away, limping, pissed and carrying a broken POS bike.

Don't buy cheap bikes! :spit:

14. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I had a Wal-Mart bike once too...POS. I was riding home when I saw a kid I knew and started talking to him...we were going the same way so I figured we'd talk to I get off and start to walk the bike home...by the time I got there the front wheel was bent the s**t...and I wasn't even riding it.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    but wouldn't that cause a rear wheel lockup? I'm not quite sure how that made the bike stop suddenly?

16. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't know much about bikes, all I know is the chain wasn't on so the pedal had no opposing force. Hard to explain, but like I'm standing up and the pedal just falls out from under me. With all the force I was putting into it, it caused me to flip over.

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OK. So you were probably leaning forward, plus the rear wheel locking woud have had some braking effect. Put it all together and it's enough to bring you down. OK Gotcha now!

I've had enough bike and motorbike crashes that I can't help playing Crash Detective.

18. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Haha, yeah, I was definitely leaning forward! Not my most graceful of moments for sure.

19. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    *sigh* A tale I have heard too often. I have been an avid cyclist for many years. The first lesson I learned is, go to a local reputable bike shop to buy a bike. Spend a little more. They will fit you properly, set it up right, and service it. You will be safer and happier. End of story.