1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

things not to do...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by joninjapan, Jan 4, 2007.

1. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    Not that this is really a "professional" observation, but how many people think seriously about their performance "presentation"? I know we work hard on what we play and how... but what about the way we present ourselves, yes the "visual".

looking around Talkbass, here is my list of things not to do....

no promotion pics, album pics etc. in front of brickwalls:eyebrow:
    never perform in shorts pants of any kind.:rollno:
    if you have more than 4 strings, play them all!:bassist:

there are more I am sure... maybe I am too "old school" but maybe "you do play better in your suit."

2. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Don't wear white shoes onstage unless you're in a white tux or playing in a funky disco band!!!

:D

3. it's not a huge deal but i always think it looks better if the whole band dresses somewhat similar. for example it looks wierd if one has the emo-one-eye-covered haircut, one is wearing a fubu jersey, one is wearing a tie, one is... well you get where i'm going. looking like you belong to the same band goes a long way for an original band these days. my band for one wears ties onstage these days (usually looking like the drunk guy who never made it home after work) and that seems to create a cohesive image that people remember about us.

call it a gimmick or whatever, but if it makes people remember you then it's worth it.

for cover bands though, it's less important it seems.

b.

4. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    Reminds me of the early beatles....same haircut same clothes, then when they got more famous they let loose a bit.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like a band called Tally Hall, and they all wear black pants, white shirts, and they each have their own color of tie. It's pretty cool, and definitely gives them a cohesive image. The guitarists and bassist also play instruments that match their color.

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    For all my metal bands I have one simple rule - always be photographed outdoors with no human artifacts (buildings, power lines, roads, neatly mowed grass etc.) clearly visible.

And be in good physical shape. Unless you play emo, I guess, in which case being a weedy runt is fine.

7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Never show up to a photo-session looking like you just woke up from a week-long bender.

Definitely agree on the "Brick Wall Syndrome", photo taken in front of brick wall screams THIS BAND REALLY SUCKS!

NEVER EVER name your band after geographic locations (especially cities or continents!), baby talk, your last name or use the words BOYS(Z) or GIRLS(Z) in a name. The Suck-Meter will red-line at that point.

8. why should you have to all be in good physical shape?

that breaks the bass players code.

9. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
  10. :p

11. In order to lug around your cabs and amp, you basically have to be at least somewhat built!

12. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i think dressing similar is pretty lame. i mean if people actually care about your music i don't think they care what you look like. if you're all crappy players then i guess image might be more important :)

actually one of the coolest looking bands i ever saw had....a cowboy (hat boots etc) playing sax, a mohawk shirtless punk playing bass, a hippy type drummer, and a pretty normal looking guitarist....they had stage presence for days......

13. I don't think everyone in the band has to dress exactly alike. I do think that bands should look like they put effort into "dressing up" for their show. I kind of dislike when bands play wearing their regular street clothes. If it's a group of younger guys, it looks like they just got to the gig after class at school or something. If you're going to play rock music, it helps to look like a rock star, even a little bit. You don't have to wear makeup and elevator boots, but something simple like a cool shirt or neck chain can make you look the part.

14. Joesick

Joesick

Jan 3, 2007
    Never have a black eye then try to cover it up by wearing eyeliner.

death.

Good one photographer.

15. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    Go to www.beachmusiccafe.com and scroll down to about the lower third of the page. That's about where the bands start advertising with pictures and links to their websites. I love the old R&B and beach music, but I swear many of these bands must get their outfits from the same blind taylor (please no offense to the blind).

16. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

And no numbers in the band name.

Wait a minute, we just renamed our band No Exit 7.
    That is a geographical sign on Rte 146 which truly
    screams 'You are in Rhode Island' because RI DOT can't
    number highway exits consecutively. So I am keeping the
    stupid number band name. Its an inside joke.

17. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Oh MAN I am laughing so hard at those pics and quotes. Great stuff!

Gotta love hot chicks in bands, though.

18. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Why they wont be reading this :bag:

19. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    wow, i went through 7 pages of rockandrollconfidential and didn't see any of my previous/current bands. i'm not sure if i should be relieved or dissapointed. i mean, haven't we all taken ridiculous pictures in the name of coolness then later figured out how much suck was actually in them?

20. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    oh, and to stay on topic.

i agree completely that dress and appearance needs to follow a common theme for everyone in a band, while presentation and show are equally important to musical talent and song selection.