Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Things not to miss in NYC?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by AlexFeldman, Aug 4, 2002.

1. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey,

I'm coming out of deep lurk to pose a question to all you New Yorker's out there. You see, my girlfriend is dragging my pathetically midwestern a** to the NYC area to visit her parents. They've promised me one night to get my bass fix. Gage's shop is already #1 on the list, but is there anywhere else I just can't miss?

Thanks!

~ Alex

P.S. I'll be there Aug 7th - 11th. If any of y'all have gigs, I'd love to come!

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Go see Mr. Sadowsky in DUMBO. I know, it's nothing but planks, but they may be the most perfect planks you will see in your lifetime.

While you're there, check out Bargemusic. It's a barge with a wall of windows that floats beneath the Brooklyn Bridge and has chamber music concerts every weekend from Thursday-Sunday. I've been a number of times and have never been disappointed.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yeah, don't miss hooking up with Ed Fuqua and Ray Parker; they are nice guys and really good players. Eat at Calle Ocho on Columbus between 81st and 82nd; the mahi-mahi, coconut ice cream, and Cuban music made it my favorite while we were there. That and try the Peking Duck at "Peking Duck" on Mott in Chinatown, not far from Gage's.

Always listen to the fat man when he tells you where to eat.:D

Monte

4. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, her parents live in Northport, Lawn Guyland. But we're supposedly going to spend a lot of the time in Manhattan (the women have to shop, of course) - so I'm looking at an afternoon and the better part of an evening with her Dad, who will probably pose me with the dreaded question, 'What do you wanna do?'

I'm going to make every effort to see some music. Apparently, Dad is a fan of mainstream jazz and will probably dig contemporary stuff, too. But I'd make any talkbasser's gig a priority. Oh, and he used to live in Bellerose, so he'd know his way around better there. Once again, I'm just a daft midwesterner, so I have no clue where I'm going in the area.

Thanks for all the replies!

P.S. I have always, always been taught that those who spend the most time practicing the fine art of dining know the most about it. :D

5. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Ed! I've talked everyone into the Charlie Haden / Kenny Barron show at the Blue Note. If this performance is anything at all like NIGHT IN THE CITY, it'll be worth the expense. Incidentally, that recording is one of the few "jazz" albums that my girlfriend will put on all by herself. That and Jobim. Maybe its a volume thing?