Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Things people do on Ebay to get you to look at their non Fenders

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LoJoe, Jan 23, 2003.

1. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    It cracks me up the lenghts some people will go to in order to get you to look at their crap basses. A friend of mine is looking for an MIA Fender P like mine. I did search on "Fender" under basses the other day just to see what's out there. Oh I got a long list of Fenders, but it really cracks me up what people put in their titles to get them to show up in a Fender search.

Some typical examples:

Beautiful bass + Fender pick

4 string bass with Fender strap

Professional bass. Not Fender

5 string bass, not Fender Jazz

Nice bass with Fender strings

Electric bass, not Fender Ibanez Warmoth etc... (I guess this guy wants his to come up no matter what you put!)

Most of the ones I looked at were just plain junk. What do they think? That we're going to go on a search for a Fender Jazz and stumble onto some 99 dollar made in Korea brand and decide to go with that instead? Right!

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    They left out Fender-style.

How about Fender-esque?

Fender-equivalent?

Ooo, Fender-compatible!

:D

3. Lava

Lava

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Not Fender but similar situation. I was looking at Laklands and saw this discription:
    2000 CONKLIN GT-4 BASS GUITAR, FENDER JAZZ STRING, LAKLAND, MUSICMAN SOUNDS

Is this a violation of Ebay listing rules? I think it's totally deceptive listing.

4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck aka: Uncle Kenny

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    LQQK!

Annoys me a lot more than it should.

5. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Nov 30, 2005
    Denver
    I can't even count the number of Craislist ads for Squiers and Epiphones that say Fender and Gibson in the titles.

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    There was a dude here in the classifieds who was selling a Squier neck with a fake Fender logo on it. Every reference to the brand was "Fender Squier" and he mentioned how it came with the "original Highway One tuners." It was a nice neck, but I think the guy actually believed he had turned a Squier neck into a Fender.

7. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    WOW!

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    It's common for sellers to describe an item as "Not brand A B C D E F G etc....." just so their item will shoe up in a search for any of those brands.

Example: "Selling Sparkomatic car stereo. Not Alpine, Blaupunkt, Clarion, Denon, Bose, Kenwood, Pioneer, Infinity, JBL, Sony"

10. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    The key word is describe. You can use another brand's name in the description, but not in the title. That's how it used to be, I guess it's still that way.

So if you have an "SX, not Fender bass," you can mention that in the title. Ebay has a box you can check when searching which will apply your search words to the description and the title, instead of just the title.