Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Things that affect string tension other than scale length

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm looking to pick up a new 5 fretless soon, and I am pretty settled on a Carvin, but I'm not sure which one. I am deciding between 34" and about 35" (35 1/4 or something like that) and whether I want to put out the extra bucks for a neck-through.

My question: What, if anything, can affect string tension besides scale length? With dual truss rods, do you think I can avoid the floppy B problem commonly associated with 34" 5 string basses?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    String gauges- a higher gauge string will (should) be more tense than a lower gauge one. That isn't to say a .135 B string is for everyone- if you play with a lighter attack, for instance, a .120 B could do just fine.

But mostly the build quality and the scale length will be the deciding factors. The truss rods won't make a difference. Your playing style will determine just how taught you need a B string to be. If you play lightly, a floppy B can still sound good and you shouldn't worry much about it. But if you tend to hammer away with a pick, a floppy B is probably going to sound like mud.