1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

things that suck on you at night

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ok so i woke up with a red lump on my fore arm, with a little dot in the middle, it wasnt itchy as the wife would ask, is that a mozzy bite, no i dont think so, weird, it doesnt have 2 dots in the middle like a spider bite, so a few nights from then i wake up in the morning with another red lump the size of about half an inch across with another dot in the middle. Now i'm wondering *** is this, doesnt look like a flea bite either. It didnt seem sore or itchy....weird anyway, i thought i would read for a while this night and keep the light on anyway something caught my eye crawling up the side of the bed head, it was a spider, a daddy long legs, holy crap was this thing stalking me waiting for me to drift off then come suck on my skin and lay eggs inside me?....i know they are suppose to be poisonous but due to there fangs being to small they cant get deep enought inside you to do any damage, anyway its dead and no more lumps....

it still makes me feel creeped to know this thing was biting on me

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool topic.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Do *not* go there.

4. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    ^This. What this guy said. Australia's a scary scary place to live. :(

Source: National Geographic

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I saw this on a billboard the other day: Think you're too small to make an impact? Try going to bed with a mosquito in the room.

-Mike

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I woke up in the middle of the night with a grasshopper on my face. Thing is, with the lights out, I thought it was a big spider. Full blown freak out up until I turned on the lights and found him.

7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Really? Post #3?

:atoz:

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA

-Mike

9. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Mythbusters busted this one. Daddy longlegs can bite, but it's harmless.

That said, that's really frickin creepy.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Reported posts.

11. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Dalai Lama.

Sleep paralysis is way scarier than any little bug. :meh:

lol aren't you one of the OT mods?

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    NY is full of bedbugs. I think I'd take spiders over bedbugs, but that's just me. Thankfully, I don't have either.

I got the crap scared out of me reading about centipedes in Hawaii. Got married there, took some odd looking bug home with us (or so I thought), and then while googling, trying to figure out what it was came across a bunch of info on Hawiaan Centipedes. Thank god I didn't read that crap before we went on our trip. I would stayed awake with a hammer in my hand for a week.

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    The OP's from Oz - a "daddy long legs" there is probably 3' across, speaks Bulgarian and regenerates when you squish it. It must be killed with fire otherwise from it's blood will pop up several more ready to do battle. Just sayin'.

But on a serious note - yeah a daddy long legs may not necessarily be the same thing there despite the name. Here, it's not even a true spider, just some sort of harmless arachnid-related thingie.

14. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones....

Aug 5, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    In Scotland the term Daddy Long Legs or in some places, Jenny Long Legs, (dont ask, no idea, other than, hey we're Scottish and it sounds good :) ) refers to a harmless Crane Fly....sounds like it might be something different elsewhere..

15. Cool story, but ... hey ... you live in Ozzytralia, bug home no 1 I'd say.:)
    An Australian friend of mine now living in the UK said, before going to sleep/getting up he would always check his bed, his pillow, his shoes, etc.

I've read that statistically every human swallows 6 spiders while sleeping during his/her life time.

16. Daddy long legs? What kind of spider is that?

Actually it should be closer to 6 a year.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    That's the big question! Depending on where you are from, it can be different things. Here in the US, it's a small critter with long legs related to a spider, but not really a true spider.
    In Australia, I think it's more closely related to what we would call here a "cellar spider", but I'm not 100% sure of that. From what MartinG says, in Scotland it refers to a type of fly...

18. Yeah might be a common "house spider". It's weird that a regular house spider bit him, though. Still, it's Australia...

19. Here is the Australian Daddy long legs:

image.

As you can see, they are small, and mostly harmless to humans.

Hope this helps...

20. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    haha , yes, the words "spider" and "Australia" in the same sentence scares me!! :)

I have heard though that most true spiders (if not all) can actually bite though. The biggest factor is as to whether they can puncture the skin and/or to whether their venom is harmful or not.
    I was bitten once by a spider that was supposed to be harmless.. it HURT.