Things to do in Atlanta...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Aug 14, 2004.

1. ...that don't involve Ted Turner or Coca Cola. Oh yeah, and I'm only 20 yeArs of age, which limits the range of things I can do. I'll be leaving in four days or sO.

If anyone can guess why I'm going to Atlanta in four(ish) days, they win...a magical asterisK.
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Just pick up a copy of Creative Loafing when you get there.
    It's a free Scene-a-zine given out everywhere.

Helped me when I visited Atlanta.

Discovered a Huge scene there.
    I won't mind moving...
  3. cool, thanx fer that.

I've actually been to Atlanta a few times, but I usually just wait around in hotels until concert time.

The first time I went to atlanta, I showed up in the middle of the night with no idea how to get anywhere, no hotel reserved or anything. I ended up going the wrong way down a one way street. a cop went flying past me, I was sure I was in for it, but then the cop just went after a crackhead who was carting off a TV set... :D
  4. how about bass atlanta? isn't there also a new bass gallery in midtown? i also make it a point to visit piercing experience when i go to atlanta. the most knowledgeable, friendly, safe piercers i have ever experienced.

5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003 straight ahead jazz

Sambuca Jazz Cafe, fine dining

Cafe 290, live jazz, dining tour an nice old theatre

Margaret Mitchell House (she wrote Gone with the Wind)

Stone Mountian Laser Light show at night

I just found this:

Friday Jazz, High Museeum, Aug 20,

Dark Horse Saloon, Rock, Highlands

Fat Matts Rib Shack, Great ribs, sometimes blues blues national acts
  6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Go see Woodchuck's band, El Pus.
  7. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    For a job interview? To see a band in concert? Visit me and JT? ;) :D

Atlanta has plety to do for fun. Little 5 Points is a pretty interesting part of town.
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hmmm....let's see...comes into a city in the middle of the hotel reservations...wrong way down one way street.

I've got it!

There must be a Dead show in town! :D

As for fun stuff to do, the Loaf is probably your best bet. Avoid Buckhead like the plague, and make your way to Little 5 Points. If I am correct about the Dead show, you'll like a place called The Five Spot in L5P.
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    We have the best flesh emporiums! :D I 2nd the Creative Loafing suggestion.
  10. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I concur.

Your coming into to town to see The Dead. I'll be in attendance myself. Can't wait. I'd also recommend checking out Creative Loafing. There are a whole lotta good places to see live music in this town. Check out Little Five Points. A lot of neat stores and restaurants. If your into baseball at all a trip to Turner Field is always a lotta fun.

11. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Best thing to do in Atlanta?

Leave Atlanta.

:D :bag:
  12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  13. Well, you guys are gonna' have to fight over the magical asterisk....Actually, my first trip to Atlanta was for Widespread.

Creative loafing is not something I would consider myself good at. I live right next to New Orleans, but all I can ever find to do there is get drunk. Sometimes I can get lucky enough to see a good band play, but I look younger than I am (only 20 anyway) and the people at the door never seem to believe that I'm tryin' to get in for music. They're like, "look at this dude, he ain't into jazz or the blues, he probably likes Linkin Park like all the other kids his age."

Is buckhead so bad? somebody was tellin' me it was cool. Then again, I guess they said it was a good place to get in fights or somethin'...
  14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Buckhead is bad. And, if you are only 20, you won't be able to get into any place besides ESPN Zone, anyway.

Go to Little Five Points, and check out The Five Spot. They are bound to have Jazz, Blues, or Reggae on the weekend. I've played there quite a bit, and it's a fun place. No cover, either. The fact that the waitresses are usually hot doesn't hurt, either. Granted, their waitstaff was different every time I was in there, so who knows now...
  15. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
  16. Is that off Peachtree?

To all of the above
  17. I guess the answers are yes

It appears I'll be making this journey all by my lonesome.
  18. Little 5 points is at the corner of Moreland and Euclid Ave. If traveling south on 75/85 (what's known as "the connector"), take North Ave exit and take a left. Go east until you hit Moreland, take a right and you will see the Junkman's Daughter on the left. You can park behind that store, or you can go on down to Euclid, take a right and park somewhere up that way. Savage Pizza is a decent place to eat, IMO.

If the Cheetah is still open, try that. Its downtown.

Another place I think is on Ponce de Leon??? Anyway, its called the Clairmont Lounge. All the cabbies know where its at. Cheap drinks. Nice ladies. You will get cultured here! Buy yourself a T-shirt.