Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Things to do in Glasgow, Scotland

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by parrott, Apr 4, 2003.

1. I'm going across to see Clutch on Tuesday, but seen as they're only supporting, I'm gonna go real early so I don't miss them (there's no way I'm missing them this time).... I'll probably go across before rush hour even begins to threaten.

That means I'm gonna get there ~4pm, and the doors open at 7pm....

So what's to do? What music shops are there? Any with 6's in?

Hey, come to think of it, Johnny & Microbass (and anyone else from Glasgow); wanna meet up for a drink?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

D'oh! I'll be on a trian back from Gloucester - I'm away on business on Monday and won't get back until about 8pm!!!!

In terms of shops ,Sound Control is probably the biggest! It's about 5 mins walk from Cerntral Station - it's down near the River Clyde. I doubt you'll have much time to go looking for other shops if you're getting there at 4pm!

Other ones that you could check out - The Guitar Store, which is about 5 mins walk from, Sound Control - btu it ain't that good for bass, McCormacks - this is about 10-15 mins walk from Central Station, for bass it ain't that great!

I reckon Sound Control is your best bet - depends who's on as well! Paul can be a bit strange sometimes, unless he thinks you're going to spend a lot of money - then he's very friendly! Tues used to be his day off, then Danny would cover the bass area, he's pretty good, and easy to talk to!

Enjoy you're gig!

3. hmm, I'll see what I can do! a bit young for a drink - unless it's a coke with lemon :D:D

Sound Control is defiantly your best bet !!

They got some HUGE amps, and plenty of basses, and PA gear!

I may have to go in on Tuesday anyway to get my case for my bass, so maybe we can meet up. :)

Shops shut @ 5:30, which kinda sucks to go shopping... LIke Johnny said, show the SC guys that you have cash... ;)

:cool:

4. What's the best part of Glasgow???

The city bypass!

5. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    You shouldn't be disappointed -- I caught them back in December and they layed the rock on thick. They played a couple of new tunes too. Everytime I see them, they're consistently badass. Good times.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

To be honest, I didn't expect any better from you.....;)

Interestingly, Glasgow doesn't have one......oh, but I see Edinburgh has....;) :D :D

7. So if I make my way to Sound Control (I hope it's better than the Edinburgh one, that one is rubbish) and stay there 'til it's closed.... as for the cash bit, I got the latest installment of my stoodent loan yesterday, so I'm feeling flush right now.

What cafes, or bars or whatever does anybody recommend for that tricky shops close - gig opens time?

We may have to meet up though Microbass...:cool:

8. The motorway going right through the middle is really useful, makes it so much easier to get to the city centre.

Actually, last time I was lost in Glasgow, I spotted an overpass that just stopped in midair.... I was quite shocked!

9. as long as your no' paedophile, i look forward to meeting you :rolleyes: :p

10. :rolleyes: :spit: :p

I'll see you in Sound Control then, I guess.

11. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I just want to make sure you guys know about the change in venue -- i noticed it on Clutch's website:

They're playing The Cathouse now (not the Garage as previously posted on pro-rock.com).:bassist:

12. oooooooh, I better check that, on Monday.

Actually, SYL was booked for the Garage, then shifted to the Cathouse, then back again (the Cathouse is smaller than the garage) as tickets were sold.

The two venues are owned by the same company, who can be very conservative with their venues.

I'll phone 'em up on Monday afternoon to check. That's the safest thing to do.

Thanks for the heads up though. I didn't know that they were up to it this time.

13. the Catty is pretty cool to go and see gigs - nice loud and good PA!

Ill always remember seeing the Bouncing Souls on Sept 11th '01... EAST COAST... oh dear.. lol

Hey P, if you want, you can gimme yer' moby number, and I can call you to meet up at the station ?

Anddon't the trains from Edinburgger go to Queens Street ?

:D :meh:

14. I'll be driving over, because there ain't no public transport that goes near me by the time I'll be comeing home from the gig.

I'll pm you my mobile number just now.... that way I can ask directions to Sound Control.... :p

Actually, i've just got a map of Glasgow, so i shouldn't get lost this time :D