Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Things to Look Out for On a Fender MIM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Manol, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    I am buying a Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special, on Tuesday and I was wondering seeing as this is a Mexican bass and ive heard stories of some bad some very good quality control coming from Mexican basses I was wondering what are some of the things I should look out for?

Sorry for easy question.

Thanks
    James.

2. i purchased a Fender Jazz Deluxe V(5 string), mim. it was a very nice bass, for $300(us), used. i assume the P would be nice, also. :cool:

3. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I have purchased a few MIM basses and they do vary. Here's a few things to watch out for, but many can be fixed.

1. Look at the finish. Clear coat thickness varies and the color can coat be thin. In most cases the problem is too little finish, not too much. Look for deep color and a consistant clear coat thickness with good shine.

2. Fingerboard quality is poor on some instruments. Look for cracks, poor grain quality, blotchy coloring.

3. Watch for poor neck alignment. I have seen instruments with the neck rotated well off to one side or the other. This can usually be fixed by loosening the neck screws and properly positioning the neck.

4. Setup on the MIM's is often poor but normally this is easily fixed.

5. Hit every note on the fingerboard to make sure the frets are all OK.

4. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    SoCal
    6. Sight down the neck from the tuners and make sure the neck is not twisted. Bow can be dialed out.

7. Play every one in the shop, even if you hate the color. You can learn to love a different color but you will always suffer bad tone from a good looking bass.

8. Ask them to throw in a set of strings and a strap with the deal. :D

PG

5. hmmm check the fretwork on it. twisted neck as mentioned, pot noises, chips on the fretboard, etc.

I've been real lucky with mine, its a classic 60's. great make. great sound.