Things you don't see anymore

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DblG, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I was looking through an old photo album at my mother's and saw this old photo. It was taken in the summer of 1966, a year before I was born. I vaguely remember 10 or 12 foot slides, but this one had to be 20-25 feet tall! Wonder how many kids had to fall off before they took it down to keep from being sued. I love looking at old pictures for things like this. They definately don't make them like they used to!
    Anyway, feel free to post any old pics of things you don't see anymore. :)

[​IMG]

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    that's a shame, because there is an INCREDIBLE big long slide at an elementary school by my house....it's actually built into the slope of the land, it's terribly fast too. and 4' wide. LOVE slides.

I'd submit "full service" gas station attendant CREWS that would wash the windows, check oil and tire pressure...etc.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Pay telephones.

5. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    That's a conspiracy so that the feds can track every call now. No more anonymous, "I'll call you from a pay phone deals." ;-)

6. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Static noise on recording. The term 'broken record'. "Snow" in my TV picture. Only 3 or 4 channels on TV. (and I love my remote control). Snow tires. Only AM radio in the cars. Standard steering (non-power assised). Non-power brakes. Door cranks to lower car windows. Crappy long distance phone calls. Liquor stores closed on Sunday afternoon. Poluted rivers. Smog. Polio. Mumps. Small pox. Commies (today its just Socalists, kinder and gentler I suppose). Draft cards.

7. Church keys.

[​IMG]

edited to add picture for you whippersnappers.

8. Chadderz

Chadderz

Nov 7, 2009
    Leeds, UK
    Would you like the younger generation to, perhaps, vacate your horticultural expanse whilst the nostalgia takes over? :D

9. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Pepsi (made with sugar, not HFCS) in 16 oz. glass bottles
    Beer in steel cans (can't say I miss that) Edit: see post #6
    Cars with big block V8s
    Rotary dial telephones
    Kids playing baseball that isn't organized and adult supervised
    Homemade go-carts
    Sting-ray bikes
    Milkman
    People leaving their doors/cars unlocked.
    Black and white TV
    45 records
    Flip windows and air vents on cars

10. I have snow tires on my van right now, and they are mandatory for all vehicles in parts of Quebec I believe. My last vehicle (sold last year) had manual windows.

11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    When I was a kid back in the 60s, we used to take a sheet of wax paper from the kitchen and use it to wax the metal slides to make them faster. Fun times!

12. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    dear lord, isn't this a trip.

i remember having milk delivered to our door when i was a kid. and i did spend a couple of summers, when in college, being a full-serve gas attendant (we washed the windows as well). that is in my past. however...

i still have a rotary dial phone, a car with window cranks, and 45's. i used "broken record" the other day in a thread. i don't lock my house or my car (ah, small town livin'). and i believe the california folks here could verify that smog still exists (12,000ft mountains, what mountains? i don't see anything!).

btw, a friend told me this morning that the new iphones have a virtual rotary dial!

oh, and don't forget betamax...

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    All of the bolded items in the list above are still out there. Perhaps some are not present for big city folk, but where I grew up they're still very present.

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
    Here's something you don't hear anymore - good rap music!

15. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Glad to hear about the kids playing ball. When I was a kid, games of pitchers hand/right field out were an every day thing.

16. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Everybody used to have one of these - a transistor radio.

[​IMG]

17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kids putting baseball cards in the spokes of their bike wheels to get that "motor" sound.

18. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just did that to my son's bike in the fall. used real-deal wooden clothes pins too.

19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
  20. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Eight-tracks and dodos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.