1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Things you hate that every local band seems to do

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by scsm, Oct 9, 2010.

1. scsm

scsm

Jul 26, 2009
    Manhattan, KS
    First off this isn't meant to bash original bands - I like original music a lot - I'm talking about the lousy, pompous original bands.

It seems over the course of a few months I've really noticed a trend with local concerts I've been too, I'm mainly talking about bands that do mostly originals.

1. Pop Punk bands that do metal breakdowns in their songs.

At first a few bands did it, now it seems every pop punk band I happen to see will at one point do a metal-ish breakdown. At this point it cliche, and it seems the band member's are trying to convince themselves they still have "hArDc0re crEd" after playing in a pop punk band.

2. Pop music covers

Yes you think its ironic you are doing a Miley Cyrus song and you think everyone is playing along by singing with you - in all actuality they are just happy they finally heard a song with a melody.

3. Saying all the right things.

You know what I'm talking about, when someone gets on the mic between songs and acts like they care "Hey the band that just went before us was great weren't they! Yeah, great guys that band." Now don't get me wrong, sometimes it IS sincere but half the time the band is just saying it because it's expected and you can see right through them.

So post what irritates you from crummy local bands.

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    4. Use intros with lots of sub bass - and when the band comes in, the sound is weak as ****.

3. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    5. Overplay.

IMHO, there is nothing that demonstrates a lack of experience and maturity more than a musician that overplays.

4. 6. Suck

:bag:

5. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    +1

once you introduce low low notes, coming back to normal bass guitar range doesn't have the same oomph. It's like "hey...where'd the music go? oh..up."

bands with super long intros anyway. ADTR last year at warped tour had fanfare for like a minute before they started. Just come on stage already.

6. fan-flipping-tastic!! :bassist:

7. 7. "Helllloooooo Springfield!" Like they just got off the plane from Liverpool. But really they're from Springfield.

8. Psycho

Psycho

Jun 24, 2008
    "Hardcore" ********.

Play horribly simple things, and focus on guitar hero styled stage manuevers (playing behind their heads, scissor kicks).

Ask me if i'm having a good time.

Pig squeals, and that whisper screaming.

And introducing themselves in an extended manner.

Or showboating.

9. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    playing too loud.

10. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    How about the 3-4 slutty, drunk and not as hot as they think they are- girls who hang out and smoke cigarettes by the load out door at the end of the night?

Go home.

11. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    :hyper:
    That was the first thing I thought when I read the thread title.

12. I hate when the singer asks people to move closer to the stage. :rolleyes:

First of all, they won't.

Second, ff people liked your music they would move up and dance. It's on you to move people with your music, not your begging.

Don't force the issue.

13. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog

Nov 15, 2006
    talk way, way, way too long between songs. at my gig last night, some of the bands were telling inside jokes for a solid 2, 3 minutes. :scowl:

14. masonsjax

masonsjax

Jun 10, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Noodling between every song. Especially annoying when the frontman is trying to ask Springfield if they are having fun.

15. Hows everybody doing tonight.

crowd makes noise.

Ohh come on you can do better than that.

hows everyone doing tonight....

oh thats better.

16. More volume than can possibly be justified has to be #1.

After that - wanking, slapopping, then lots of multi-instrumantalistism.

17. b-ron_50

b-ron_50

Sep 19, 2010
    Michigan
    Start a song over after screwing up halfway through!!! Nothing annoys me more than that!

18. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    1. Breakdowns started in Hardcore Punk and crossed over to the "core" Metal. Hardcore Punk mixed with various styles of Metal. There's nothing wrong with a breakdown though. That's just like saying bridges are terrible, because everyone seems to use them now. In fact, why do we even have a chorus to songs? That is the section almost every song in existence has.

2. I agree. There is nothing more cheesy than trying to do your own take on something which was already a terrible song to start with. If you're an originals band, stick to playing original music. Unless your cover is truly amazing, the only people wanting to hear it, will be those who know the song. Which means they most likely don't like your style of music.

3. Again, I agree. Say it with meaning. If you don't mean it, don't say anything at all. But you should always thank the soundman and whoever hired you for the gig if you want to get more gigs with them.

19. I'm doing my best to see where you're coming from, and I see what you mean... but

1. I really don't see what's wrong with hardcore breakdowns in pop-punk songs. Yea, if it's All Time Low doing the verse riffs to The Pot that's a little weird, but a huge percentage of breakdowns are not like that

2. Doing a Kesha cover can be fun, if you make it your own. And if someone paid 10bux to come see your band for the first time, they'll appreciate the fresh breath of air. On another hand, a lot of bands do it for youtube viral exposure and some just to bash the heck out of it.

3. I (as well as every other GOOD band I know in Vancouver) ONLY say that about the previous/upcoming band if either I think they are awesome, or the crowd loves them and need to get pumped up for them. Otherwise, if the band sucks... nobody says anything.

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    1. Scooped mids - Your ultra "heavy" riff that sounds bad ass in the bed room is an undefined mess through the FOH. Don't scoop the mids on your cheap, Crate guitar amp with cheap metal fuzz box in order to sound make it sound like a Mesa. Likewise, if you buy a Marshall, realize it's a low gain, mid-forward amp. Don't scoop its mids and put a cheesy distortion box in front of it. You want the sound of a high-gain, American guitar amp, buy a high-gain American guitar amp! Don't buy a low-gain, Brittish-sounding amp and then think it's going to sound like a Mesa or VHT.

2. Live tuning and noodling between songs - Unprofesesional! Unprofessional! Unprofessional!

3. Purposefully misspelled names - It's alright if it's actually clever. Unfortunately, most of the time it comes off cheesy and passe. I really hate replacing S's with Z's. It usually takes an already lame band name and makes it even more lame (e.g., Calling your band "The Rock Boys" but spelling it "The Rock Boyz").

4. Commenting over the mic about low crowd attendance - self-explantatory.

5. Being overly touchy feely with the opposite sex (or perhaps same sex :D) of people who came to see you - It's alright to be a little teasing, but grabbing the girl's ass whose dancing in front of you is just classless.

6. Putting no thought into how you present yourself on stage. I'm not saying to dress up in matching monkey suits, but I just don't dig it when people look like they got off their day gig at Wal-mart. I know others will disagree.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021