1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Things you love and things you wish you could change on your EUB.

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by NickyBass, Oct 15, 2009.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    For your particular instrument, what are some things that you would change and what are some things that you love? I am starting to look around at higher end options and I want to be armed with all the details.

Here's my list for the NS WAV4.

Love.
    -Straight forward, no nonsense design. (I like this design over all the others that I've seen.)
    -The full scale length.
    -The ability to use Orchestral strings.
    -The fact that the board sits on the 'body.'
    -The two way piezo bridge system.

Wish I could change:
    -I want the tuners to go all the way through the headstock (like an upright.)
    -The neck is way too wide and bulky. I'd rather have an upright profiled neck.
    -The thick poly is...well...thick poly.
    -The strings wrap around the bottom, but I wish that there was something there so that they don't rub against the body.
    -I wish the strings (on back) anchored onto solid wood.
    -I would like more control over the eq. Can get harsh with the tone knob all the way up.

So, what is your list????

2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Wish list ( mine is a Aria EUB)
    -an ebony fingerboard
    -a bass body that can lean against me (stick types havent worked well with me)and steadies itself on my left knee

Thanks

Robert VanLane

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I wouldn't change a thing on my NS Bass cello.

4. I have an Aria SWB-04

Like:
    - look from the front
    - 105cm string length
    - pre-amp controls on the bass shoulder
    - magnetic and piezo p/u, good sound when paired with the right amp.
    - easily portable

to change:
    - wish the back and sides had the same look as the front
    - the piezo p/u under the bridge can get jostled during transport and not contact clearly, giving poor piezo sound. The piezo contact are two thin wires, I wish they were flat plates so they were more resilient to transport movement.
    - the bridge adjusters could have been better designed.
    - the gig bag is very thin, wish it came with a better gig bag.

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Mine's an original model BugBass. I wouldn't change anything except I wish it sounded better for arco. Wouldn't mind if it was the hollow version, although this has been a solid bass for about 10 years.

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    my SLB-200:
    *Good feel, love the upper bouts
    * Plays like the real time most of the time
    * Folds up nicely.
    * Gets lots of curious looks and comments

Complaints:
    * Hard to amplify evenly.
    * Materials could've been better
    * Endpin I'm using has a tendency to slip sometimes

7. Leeners

Leeners

Feb 9, 2008
    Boston, MA
    AlterEgo Acoustic Figaro (4 -string)
    Spirocore Weich strings

I have owned this instrument for one and a half years. It is my first EUB and double bass of any kind. I think this is a great instrument.

Things I Love:
    - Other than change the strings from Helicore Hybrids to Spirocore Weichs, I have not had to do a single thing to modify this instrument to improve its playability
    - It balances just like an acoustic instrument on my hip and left leg
    - Because of the "shoulders" I can feel the whole body vibrate against me when I play
    - The neck and fingerboard feel fantastic everywhere
    - It is very solid and feels like you are holding a real instrument when you handle it
    - Arco : no problem
    - The neck unbolts so you can fly with it
    - Amplification is easy and stress-free. No feedback! It is a plug-and-play instrument
    - Materials are great: highly flamed maple neck/back and spruce top

Things I wish I could change:
    (Mostly minor issues, actually)
    - There is a very quiet rattle/buzz somewhere in my preamp that can't make go away
    - Endpin is infinitely adjustable and slips if I don't tighten the screw hard enough
    - Endpin sometimes rattles against the body in some orientations. I use a thin piece of foam/neoprene wedged in between to stop this.
    - my case stitching is coming apart in some areas, and I will need this repaired or replaced eventually

Despite many warnings on this forum against learning how to play a double bass on an EUB, I don't think this is an issue with this instrument. If I didn't have this instrument, I would never have been able to make it to my bass lessons and ensemble rehearsals easily from work where it would have been impossible to take a full sized acoustic DB.

I recently went shopping for my first acoustic DB and I was THRILLED to find that I could adjust to the acoustic instrument easily. When my new bass arrives, I don't think there will be much of a transition. I will let you know in March...:p