Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Things you regret

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Is there something you wish you never done to
    a bass.

I never had one of these times but my dad did.

My dad (I'm 14) had 2 74 precisions. the first one he refinished, the second one he pulled the frets and didn't like the tone, then had them put back in, but it didn't sound the same, but that didn't matter because he still wanted a fretless, So he bought a cheap fretless neck and also didn't like that either. Now he learned his lesson, and never touched a basses frets, finish or anything! :D

2. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am thinking most every upgrade, since they didn't translate into dollars at resale.

3. When I was young and ignorant, I discovered why you don't turn the truss rod all the way until it stops turning.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I probably shouldn't have let it slip into these bad@$$ funkilicious fingers :p

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I once sold a Lull 5. I've rued the day ever since.

6. Me too...

I also regret the following:

- Thinking Blink 182 was the greatest thing on the planet.

- Getting rid of my little practice amp (Peavey Minx)

- Not getting a Sting Ray in the first place.

Why god why?!?!
    :confused:

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Move over, Chuckie....

I sold a Music Man Sabre to buy an Ibanez![​IMG]

8. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Selling my Carl Thompson......:(

9. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    Taking my only bass to the pawn shop. Sold my soul.:eek:

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    - Batting practice with a `77 Stingray :rolleyes:

- Owning a Ric 4080-12 / bein' married / livin' within 5 minutes of 3 pawn shops :(

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Two things I mostlt regret :

- Having sold my MM StingRay (bought new in 1980)
    - Having said "let me think of it" to my dealer when he offered me to get a mint Status Series 2000 for 305 EUR

:(

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Selling my old Ibanez.

- What? It was just an Iba!

Yeah, but it was the first bass I could play. It was fret free and smooth as velvet. Just needed som electronic adjustments to be marvellous. Now, it's sleeping in pieces at teh guy who bought it...

13. I also regret selling a bass. Mine was a, butt ugly, black Yamaha BB 1600 (the one with goldplated metal surroundings around the pick ups, and the same body shape as the newish Michael Anthony signature basses). It wasn't my first bass, but it's the one I actually learned how to play :rolleyes: on.
    The only good thing about getting rid of it was that I traded it for a Warwick, a bass I love and will never, ever, sell.

14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Selling my blonde 75 Rick 4001
    to buy a TV set when I got my first apartment :eek: :confused: :mad:
    (This was 1983)

I still have the TV, tho. I want to kick it sometimes when I think about it :mad:

15. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Selling my 1960 stack knob jazz bass.
    Selling my 1972 Fender Strat.
    Leaving my early model BC Rich Mockingbird leaning against a wall where someone knocked it over and broke off the headstock.

16. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Playing one with a lead-guitar attitude.

17. Leaving the lead in for my cousin to trip over it, take the scratchboard off and snapping it along te way, destroying the electric's, snapping my D string. My mum said "Oh my god!!" and i went no my guitar and she went "your little cousin'ss grazed his knee"

18. I regret telling my dad that his Ricky would play and look better with the bridge pickup cover off. And then helping him do it. I kind of regret getting a SDGR 5 string. I also regret thinking blink-182 was the best ever. And listening to midstream.

19. Selling my Aguilar half stack to help finance a move to Ca after I enlisted. I needed the money, and didn't have the room, so it felt like a good idea at the time. I should have just shipped it out later. That thing was a monster amp, and my first real amp. I've been stuck with a lame ass Fender 15 watt practice amp for the last 4 years.

20. well i can't speak necessarily on topic, but i would like to thank the people who have regretted and repented in their follies for thinkin blink 182 was the best band ever. your repentance has not gone unnoticed and your sins will be forgiven :p.

Joel