1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Things you should do when your young.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MuinXing, Mar 10, 2013.

1. MuinXing

MuinXing

Aug 24, 2012
    Alright I'm approaching my late twenties, and I have to ask what are the type of things that you think one should do while your my age, aside from financial things.

Keep in mind I'm generally past partying/getting laid type of thing.

So far I got stay in shape.

2. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    Get rid of your negative friends
    Read books on success
    Listen to self help discs/mp3s when you commute
    Remember there are 168 hours in the week
    Tell yourself only positive things/ look for the silver lining
    Your confidence always needs to be a little higher than your competence and you always need to increase your competence. If its a lot higher you're delusional
    You create your own economy, there's money to be made wether its up or down.
    Only hang out with people more successful than yourself
    You can have pretty much any woman you want so be sure you want the right one
    Anyone tells you any different their wrong and they probably don't have jack ****

3. MuinXing

MuinXing

Aug 24, 2012

Rarh this seems like the opposite of what I was looking for.

I wasted my first half of my 20's involved with career aspeirations, and I'm sure I'll have tons of time for that in my thirties.

Granted the negative friends issue is a big one. I've moved home back in janurary to deal with this one.

I guess it's why I feel like my twenties was partially wasted.

4. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    I started rock climbing/mountaineering at around 27, some of the best days of my life. Now I need to lose 50 pounds and get back to it.

5. MuinXing

MuinXing

Aug 24, 2012
    Yeah I've recently picked up hiking, speaking of which I'm gonna go for a trek along the beach.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Anything you want - don't waste your immortality.

7. root out conspiracies! they are going on all around you, and if YOU don't do it, who will?

davesignatureII-1.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1) Save for retirement. Saving now will compound very much later in life.
    2) Find your TRUE friends. Some childhood friends may in fact be toxic.
    3) Start checking things off your bucket list.

So far I've learned to scuba dive and gotten my motorcycle license. This year, with any luck, I will learn to skydive as well.

Number three lends itself to number two as well.

Just make sure you don't forget number one when doing two and three.

I'm about to turn twenty-six. So far, I spend a dozen weekends a year on the road traveling for work. I give lectures on chocolate history, but when I'm not lecturing, I'm exploring my country through food and sites. I've made it to Seattle, St. Louis, Miami several times, Boston several times, Chicago several times. I've met some incredible people in the process.

When I'm not traveling for lectures, I'm scuba diving at the local quarry, riding my motorcycle, or hopefully skydiving. I drink very seldom these days, leaving me more time and function for doing these things that I may not be able to do when I'm older.

I'm also going back for my MBA part time during the process.

The running joke in the office is that I sleep once a month. It's not that far off.

Tim
    [​IMG]

9. Learn new things (infact, keep learning, never stop)
    Read (pretty much anything)
    Play team sports
    Develop new interests
    Get in a ratty van and go on a tour

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree 110% with these two. If you have a long commute, I recommend investing in audiobooks. I spend 90 minutes in cars each day and am always listening to audiobooks to expand my mind on new topics.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Enjoy the quiet moments in life.

12. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Travel - it's easier when you've got less strings attached
    Start learning a martial art - there's a lifetime's work there
    Learn to cook - this will pay off in many ways again and again though life

13. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Live hard, love deeply, embrace family,help those in need and examine what you believe on a daily basis. Oh yeah, and have fun and laugh often especially at yourself.

14. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Travel as much as you can.

15. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    If you smoke , quit. If you drink a lot, slow it down or quit. Eat healthy. Enjoy long hours of sleep because later you will miss it. Take time to develop your mind, you mom and dad meant well and did their best to guide you but now it's up to you to formulate your own ideas of the real world and how you fit into it.

16. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Let me ditto the travel suggestion. It's easier logistically when you're young.

I had to get rid of childhood friends as part of growing up. It wasn't easy, actually it was, but removing negativity from ones life is taking a stone out of a shoe.

Keeping care of yourself is another good thing. Find a work out and stick to it. You have a good chance of living to 100 and the better shape you're in the more fun it will be.

17. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I'd like to echo the keeping healthy suggestion as well. Try to get in shape if you're not. If you are in shape do what you can to stay healthy. It's much more difficult to get in shape and stay in shape as you get older. Health is everything,

18. As someone said previously, go on tour. Do it.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Devote meaningful time each month in some kind of community service/charitable work.

-Mike

20. sidereal321

sidereal321

Mar 9, 2013
    Very excellent recommendations in this thread, I concur with them all, especially anything having to do with smelling the roses now.
    50, and damn do I miss sound sleep...