Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Think a buck or two won't help Katrina's victims? Here's how we made it work...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dryheatbob, Sep 9, 2005.

1. At my office we kept hearing how some wanted to help the victims of Katrina, but didn't think the small amount they had to give would help. We thought taking a collection at all of our offices(15 of 'em, 300 employess, give or take) would be good, but then my supervisor thought how can we continue it?

This is what she came up with:

For a small donation(literally whatever you wanted to give) the dress code would allow jeans on Fridays. In addition, we wore stickers inviting patients to ask about the relaxed dress code and in turn invited them to make a donation.

This past Thursday we launched the "Jeans for Charity" literally on several hours notice. The next day and all Fridays from then on would be "Jeans for charity Day".

The first day was unbelievable. We collected just over $1000 dollars from employees, and another $300 from patients. In addition, the Radiologists agreed to match all donations.

BAM!!! almost $3000, all on what amounted to word of mouth.

Today looks to be even better. Practically everyone wore jeans, the individual donations were higher and patients continued to amaze us with thier generosity.

The donations are being sent to the RedCross.

If you think chump change can't help, try this at your place of business. A few dollars here, pocket change there. It adds up. Not to mention the improved mood wearin' your favorite jeans instead of slacks, skirts or whatever.

Bob

2. Wow, that is amazing.

Its awesome how something that you would never think would bring in much money, turns out to bring in thousands.

Kudos to you and your co-workers in all your efforts to help those in need.

Dave

3. Hey DMB-

Thanks for the pat on the back but I trully wasn't looking for congrats. I'm hoping some of the gang here on TB will be moved set up the same kind of thing at their workplaces.

Imagine a buck or two from each TBer and each of their co-workers and bosses. Not to mention additional donations from their clients or customers. The amount of money "trickling" in could be huge. And painless.

Bob

4. I was surprised how much public schools are donating. Not just from the students, but they are donating money from their own budget. I think ours is currently in the thousands. :smug:

5. My band is actually gonna try and set up a benefit concert soon, and send the money to Red Cross, or something to that effect. I think that anyone that possibly can, should be doing something to help these people.

I could tell from the attitude of your post that congratulations were not your aim. Though what you thought of and did is a very good idea, and was obviously effective. Too bad the place I work at only works 2 or 3 people at a time, or else I would see if we could do something similar.

I think we should see if we could have something set up in the store section of TB to where we could donate whatever we want and then give it all as one lump sum to whoever Paul sees fit. Maybe do a weekly donation from all of us for the next few weeks. That way anyone that has a few bucks they can spare in their bank account, could donate it through TB.

Dave

6. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Also, alot of banks and whatnot are matching any donations to the redcross, so if you put a few hundred in there bin, they'll double it. We should utilize this to get New Oreleans up and running again.

7. Wow, I couldn't believe it would collect so much!
    Crazy and congrats

Vince

8. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    A cool donation story.................

My daughters (6 and 9) took their "Tooth Fairy" money to the Red Cross.

As a Dad, nothing makes you prouder than seeing your kids do the right thing without being prompted.

9. Has anyone heard of the two young girls who watched with horror all of the destruction on the Gulf Coast and wanted to do something to help but all they could think of with was to hold a little bake sale of cookies and cupcakes they baked themselves? This was up in the Northeast (Connecticut?). They got permission to set up their table in front of a grocery store and they put up a hand written sign saying the proceeds were being donated to the Katrina victims. People began buying their goodies but were disregarding the small prices they wanted for their items. Instead folks were giving them $250 a cookie or more for a cupcake. By the time they were done, they had collected over $11,000!

God bless America, and we should thank him occasionally for his foresight to create guilt - a little of which never hurt anybody.