1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Think I am bored with bass- talk me into or out of starting electric guitar.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by obimark, May 25, 2019.

1. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Need some advice- after countless gigs, and playing bass nearly 27 years, I am bored with it.

I can play anything I want to easily (normal songs, not Victor type playing), but am feeling the urge to get a telecaster and get good on rhythm guitar with maybe a little light lead playing.

Am I crazy or should I go for it? If I do should I get a non-whammy guitar like a tele, or will I want the whammy bar later and wish I had it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Exploration in music is always good in my view. Go for it!

JimK, Atshen, knee_boarder and 23 others like this.
  3. walking Bass

walking Bass Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Northern California
    I play bass and play at guitar. I love playing both and have a variety of both guitars and basses. My personal favorite electric 6's are the Gibson SG and Fender Tele - I love the tone on both and the weight of the SG. Maple board on the Tele, of course.

jamro217 and JaseyT like this.
  4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    As another fellow player of multiple types of stringed instruments, I say go for it!

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I play both.

Exploring guitar made me a better bass player I think.

Whammy’s can be a pain with regard to staying in tune. All of mine are hard tail except a Kramer Baretta - it’s basically a super strat with a hb.

I’m solidly in the go for it camp.

6. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Go for it. Here are some benefits:

- You'll develop a greater appreciation for chord harmony and voice leading.
    - You'll develop a better sense of melody and with it, counter-point.
    - You'll develop a sense of how to use dynamics and ornamentation to create and resolve tension.

These things can be applied back to bass, and will make you a far, FAR better bassist.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  7. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I bought an acoustic/electric guitar recently because I felt like I wanted to play around with laying down some tracks of my own with a guitar. I am a terrible guitar player and haven't had the time to even pick it up and tune it since I bought it. I keep thinking some day I'll have time to shed with it a bit but that day never seems to come. So if you have enough time to make it happen, go for it. It's not easy going from bass to guitar, though. The guitar feels so tiny to me.

jamro217 and obimark like this.
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Cool. More gigs for me

9. Biffa

Biffa

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    Wasn't it Samuel Pepys who said, "Man who is tired of bass is tired of life itself, for bass has everything that life has to offer"

...or something along those lines

10. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Please do. You'll be be more hirable and less firiable but seriously sometimes I wished I'd learned guitar before drums and bass but bassists were so very much in demand at the time in my circles.
    Never quit or get rid of your bass gear...you 'maybe' sorry and you don't want to know how I know.

Tshoob, jamro217 and obimark like this.
  11. daveyo

daveyo

Nov 6, 2013
    I play both as well,go for it,I figure if Paul McCartney can do it ,so can I
    Good luck
    Dave

12. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Go for it. I believe both instruments are similar enough to improve you on each.

Hard tail stays in tune better if you use the tremolo. If you don't use it, the difference doesn't really matter. Also, locking systems negate this difference at the cost of more difficult setup.

You will hardly use a tremolo. There are many types to choose from. Kahler, Floyd Rose, Bigsby, 2 point, 6 point, etc.

My experience was I wanted a tremolo. I never used it except to play around. I have guitars with all sorts of bridges. I got more interested in it after listening to Chet Atkins.

You can replace the bridge with a tremolo version if you change your mind. Or you could get a new strain of GAS.

Good luck

jamro217 likes this.
  13. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks!

jamro217 likes this.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Learn some piano too! I did.

Very helpful for improving theory knowledge and great for ear training.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    lizardking837, MVE, jamro217 and 7 others like this.
  15. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    :roflmao:

jamro217 likes this.
  16. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    If you want to do it! It could be a very position thing, such a new musical outlet or produce a new appreciation for bass.

jamro217 likes this.
  17. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Bass is my musical home. It's where I'm most comfortable... Competent? I also play guitar, some mandolin, some keys, working on drums. Oh, and spoons!!! I LOVE spoons!!!!

Everything you learn to play makes you a better musician and give you a better idea of what your fellow band mates are doing and makes you appreciate them more.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  18. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida

Bass can still be in your tool kit. Branching out can freshen things up, and often you can find inspiration that leads you back to bass.

Guitar, piano, pedal steel, anything and everything. Go for it!

JohnArnson and jamro217 like this.
  19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    You'll be back as soon as you have to deal with another bassist. And you're always thinking in your head: "Man, what a hack!" and you're about to walk over and show him how to play Mustang Sally, but he still won't get it.

BillMason, Ggeorges, jamro217 and 4 others like this.
  20. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Thread reported to moderators.

Lifetime ban imminent.