Think I got a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ocelot_ark, Apr 16, 2002.

1. ocelot_ark

Apr 12, 2002
    Alright, I head up to the closest "big" town today to see my sister in the hospital and check out the bass stuff at pawn shops. I come home with a very well taken care of SWR 2x12 ($160) and a Carvin Pro Bass II ($50). I've been wailing on this set up for the past hour or so, and I don't think I've ever spent $210 as well!

So, did I get a good deal or am I being naive?

Also, anyone know anything about this stuff? The amp does not function COMPLETELY. The "hi" input doesn't work, a couple of the knobs don't work (it IS an older amp) - any ideas what that could be? I"ll probably take it in the shop, but you guys probably know more than they do!
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not too familiar w/the models & prices but it sounds OK to me. The only thing I don't like is that the amp dosen't "function completly". Unless you have some knoldege in repairs or know someone that does, you might get stuck in a hard place one day w/an amp like that.

P.S. This belongs in the AMPS forum.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You did OK on the cab, assuming the drivers, grill, etc. are in good shape.
  4. ocelot_ark

Apr 12, 2002
    I have figured out that the Cab is a SWR Workingman's 2x12. The thing rattles the whole house! The Carvin will cost $50 to fix at the local music shop. So...I basically got the exact type of entry level rig I was hoping to get for $400, for $210 + $50 to fix the amp. I'm satisfied for now, and I'll probably put that amp up on ebay after May 13th (1st gig) and take the winnings and apply them towards a Peavy Mark VI (cheap, but still excellent for me). Add a 15, I think, to this and I'll probably be set for a while.

I'm so sorry for posting this in the bass forum, I've got the BASS forum linked in my favorites, and it just automatically comes up, i didn't even think about the amps forum. Somebody move this so I don't feel so retarded!!!
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, now that you have felt like a dufus, I will move it for you.:D