1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Think I might have blown a horn - Genz Benz 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScentlessAppren, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Well, first gig using my new setup and I think I blew a horn. Im running a GBE 1200 to a GB neo 212. Towards the end of the first set it started crackling so we took a break and I turned the horn on the back of the amp down to 0...it was at 50% for about 45 minutes. After I turned it down it was fine but just to be safe I told the sound guy to turn me up in the PA and I turned my amp down. I just tested it and it still crackling. Does anyone know what kind of horn and size is in this thing and about how much it would be to replace?

The reason I got the 1200 was I was planning on adding another cab later (GB 410) and then that would be ideal running about 600 to each cab at 2 ohms. I was wanting to get another bass first but looks like Ill have to be trading a bunch of old gear and scrounging up money for the cab now.:meh:

2. Bump for some help please.

3. dman_113

dman_113 Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

Nov 4, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    Send a PM to TBer agedhorse
    He is an engineer at GB.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Give Scott a call at the factory, he'll get you all fixed up. Phone Number: (480) 941-0705

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Man, you must play really loud to blow a tweeter!

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Wow, quick response. I'm impressed... :meh:

MM

7. Horns suck!!! For some reason bass cab mfg think we like them. Maybe that's just me. If you listen to all the classic tones and players we adore and try to emulate they were not using horns. How about a 5in tweeter or something more natural sounding. Hope everything goes well in a repair or new cab.

8. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I have 2 of these cabs I bought new last year and I run a GBE750 thru one or both. I set my tweeters at about 10% just cause Ive read here that keeping them off overheats them or the attenuator. I dont care for tweeters either when I do open em up some they just always sound to harsh for the tone I prefer. So again pls post back with what may have caused the failure and what the fix was, etc.

9. First all thanks for all the replies...especially you AgedHorse. Its great knowing I can ask a question directly to the engineer involved with a product. That was a selling point for me (after the great tone and comparable price of course).

Well I called my local store and just told em what was going on. I told him my horn started buzzing during our first set and it stopped when I tuned it down on the back. However it is still doing it a day after the show and I thought it was busted. He said he didn't have any extras in stock but he's ordering one that should be in next week. He didn't ask me to bring it in or anything but once they take it next week Ill report back with an update.

10. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    It's just you. I like horns, and most players I know use them. I think they have a very valid place in live applications. Of course it depends on the tone you're after. But the nice thing is that you can always turn a horn down or off if you have it.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021