1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Think it's time to start writing on my own...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mrokern, Sep 27, 2008.

1. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Played an audtion last night...I wasn't their thing, and they weren't mine. They want a speed demon who will double the guitar note for note, I want an original band where the other players realize that a bass isn't just a lower-pitched guitar.

So ya know what? I think it's time I start getting the stuff I've had bouncing in my head down on paper and into some demos.

Frustration is a weird thing, it either stops you in your tracks or sparks your creativity.

-Mark

2. Andy419

Andy419

Aug 13, 2007
    I've been doing the same thing, although I'm happy in a band as well. The stuff I come up with on my own really isn't that band's thing so I plan on recording some of it and going from there.

3. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    bummer about the audition man- i remember you seemed really pumped for it.

i had actually reversed my stance on it a few weeks ago and made plans to try out with them too. i figured it was worth trying out at least. i've been practicing a lot for it but i'm not sure if i'll meet their criteria either. i'm none too fond of just doubling guitar parts myself. :meh: i guess i'll find out tomorrow when i go down there.

no matter how many bands i play in at a time i always like to have time to write my own music too. it's very therapeutic to be in complete control sometimes! it is also way fun to pick up other instruments. sometimes i think i should just focus and get really good at one, but i'm usually happier being more spread out.

4. Go for it.

5. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Good luck, give it a shot. They're nice enough guys. Word of advice...they speed stuff up quite a bit and tune down a whole step across the board, then drop tune. Darrin (the bandleader) will gladly show you the riffs. A few of them were quite a bit nastier than I'd learned them (stupid myspace low-quality streams). I'm assuming you're taking a 5-string...I don't know that 4 would cut it with this group.

Part of the frustration is entirely on me, my speed chops just weren't there for where they were playing some of the stuff. Prepare to be there for a good long while, they'll run through a lot of material. The main lick in Pieces of You can be evil on the fretting hand. I had a terrible time with it. The previous guy supposedly played it in just as awkward a pattern, but different from mine. He nailed the rhythm (I had serious trouble keeping up), but played it in an entirely different key :)eyebrow:). My guess is that he learned it using an open string or two.

-Mark

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    well i got back a while ago. it felt like a long drive.

i think it went pretty well. the whole downtuning thing took me a while to get used to. For everything but heretic i actually tuned as CEADG. for heretic i downtuned everything since it was way easier to play that way. the b->c change really helped me read his his drop C and i didn't have to think too hard about what the other strings were.

yeah i don't think i wowed them or anything. i felt like i kept up just fine- i guess i can play pretty fast...:confused: there are a ton of parts that just double the guitar lines- i tried to mix it up a here and there and leave some nice ringing notes, but the music is really busy. they didn't make horribly pained expressions when i played other stuff...but there was no eye contact at all when we played, which struck me as a little weird. did you notice that? i might just be incredibly ugly...:bag:

i don't really have strong feelings either way. the music is pretty rockin, and i would love to get out and play some shows. so if they offer the gig, i'll probably do it. but if i don't get it, meh. no big loss. they still have another week or so of auditions so it will be a while till we find out anyway.

7. Mrockern: You raise a great point about doing your own thing. Setting up your own band gives you the chance to make it what you want.

8. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    You're right, there is ZERO eye contact there. That's really unusual, especially since in Visceral (my cover band) I'm always locking eyes with either the drummer or lead guitarist during rehearsal. Of course, half the time it's just to see who can make the other one screw up first. :p

CEADG was probably a smart thing for you to do, now that I think about it. It might have made a few things a good bit easier.

The music is very good. They would really benefit from a rhythm guitarist, though. It would take the pressure off the bass to be doubling so much of the time.

And yeah, it feels like a really long drive.

I'm not hurting either way; Visceral is doing very well on the cover side of things. We're getting better and better shows and have a few agents talking to us now, so it's not like I'm desperate to play.

Let me know what / if you hear from them!

-Mark

9. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. :) I'm not hurting for song ideas, I just need to get them out of my head and into actual demos.

I'd be a happy clam if I could use the drummer from my cover band in another project as well...he's great, low-maintenance, and he and I get along very well both personally and musically. He's the easiest drummer to lock with that I've ever met.

-Mark