Think my GK2000rb is going!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, May 14, 2005.

1. Well it seems like my GK over the past several months is starting to distort and clip the power amp much easier then in the past 6 years ive owned it. Last practice I really noticed a drop off in low end as well (run it bridge mono). And the power amp will even clip at about 11 o'clock volume pluged into my 2 Avatar 2x10 pro's. I know these heads have had problems in the past, but does this sound like the typical ready to crap out scenario? Should i send the head back to GK or find a local service guy in the LA area to fix it?

Good thing is I found a near new cond. 94 SWR basic 350 for $270 out the door and I bought as a back up, or maybe it will be my main amp?

Thanks for any info!
  2. do the GK2000RB have a bad history of crappn out???
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Dan Elliot is the solution to all your problems. He is Talkbass' resident GK cust svc rep. Shoot him a PM.

From my recollection, GK 2000RB's had quite a few problems. Some were fixed and worked like new, others were doomed to continuous problems. Check with Dan and he'll help you out.
  4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Wow--It seemed like most 2000RBs went up in smoke years ago judging by stories here and at Harmony Central. I've had very good customer service experiences with GK in the past couple years. TalkBass member Daniel Elliott is a GK employee and has been extremely helpful in getting my '87 400RB and '88 200MB to perform their best.

The GK factory took care of a problem in my 400RB's boost circuit that had been 'fixed' several times (but not cured) by local techs. The repair was fast and inexpensive. I've used the amp in hundreds of gigs and rehearsals since without a single problem. Especially since your amp is legendary for 'issues' I think GK factory service is the way to go.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My 2000RB just went up in a puff of smoke when it failed - literally, visible smoke that smelled pretty strong. When it was returned from GK after being "fixed", its output would fluctuate, the level dropping down drastically for several seconds before returning to full power. It was never run bridged.

Hope this helps.