1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Think piracy is killing the music industry? This chart suggests otherwise.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by f64, Oct 7, 2013.

1. letsrumble

letsrumble

May 23, 2010
    The one "positive" I see in that chart is that concert revenue is up. I attribute that to already-established acts jacking up the price of their tickets to make up for lost albums sales. That's hardly anything to cheer about.

2. I'd rather pay for my music and not have to shell out $100 or ore dollars for a concert ticket personally...

3. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    It's pretty easy to spot an obvious b.s. factor in the study this chart comes from. The study claims that the decline in recorded music sales is offset by total revenue from "the new business models such as streaming and subscriptions" -- but the bulk of that revenue doesn't go to the musicians creating the music; it goes to the internet companies that provide streaming services. In other words, the study's authors are trying to pull a fast one, claiming that everything's hunky-dory with the music industry and pointing to the revenue received by non-music internet companies as supposed proof of this assertion. If you were to count only the actual revenue going to music creators, that happy little line of the chart wouldn't be nice and level; it would be plummeting sharply down. This "study" is obviously biased b.s.

4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I've seen a study that showed people who pirated music, generally also purchased more music than the average consumer. Piracy isn't hurting music sales as much as other items competing for the same finite entertainment dollar today, which did not exist 40 years ago. Things the industry would rather not be mentioned on this subject - such as video games and home video to name 2.

5. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Has it been a week already since the last time someone started a thread like this?

6. letsrumble

letsrumble

May 23, 2010
    It's a matter of time before technology catches up and piracy eats into movies and video games. It should be fun watching that happen.