Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinkin' about it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Theonestarchild, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I was at the music store picking up some cabling, and I came across a Stagg bass. It looks alot like the Warlock by B.C. Rich...
    I was wondering if anyone's played it, and what they thought. I like it, but I'll have to save big. It's only 180. Too bad I'm a student, and money is so hard to come by. I only had time to plug it in on some garbage amp. Give me some ideas please.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What bass are you currently playing?

Edit..duh..I guess I should have read your sig. I don't really see that being an upgrade on your Peavey. Peavey makes some really nice low end beginner basses. The pot fix on the Peavey should be very cheap. I'd just take it to a shop, get it fixed, and stick with that.

3. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Peavey Fury with a scratchy tone pot. I like it. Alot. But the stagg would be nice to have as a secondary, or I might trade in my fury if it's worth it.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If you have the money, and want a second bass, you like the sound and the look of the Stagg, then go for it. No reason not to. However, I don't think it'll be an upgrade on your Peavey. As I said, replacing a pot is a very cheap repair.

5. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I got a soldering iron, but I suck. Like... hard. Could I do it? If so, how do I figure out what pot goes in there? Also, this bass is like... a 95 model. I bought it used at a Music and Arts center. I like it, like I said, but is it worth it?

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Even having a tech do it would be a cheap job. We're talking like $5 for the pot, and whatever he charges for 10 minutes of his time.

7. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    Stagg basses can be really quite good

like all the cheapos most of them arent anything special, but ive been using one (albeit modified) as my main bass for a few years

its even got some nice flame in the maple of the neck

[​IMG]

cheers
    Lucy

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey Lucy! Does Jack know you're posting over here?:p

9. I say get the pot fixed, and get a new amp before you even consider a new bass. Trust me. I know the perils of a BX1200.

But in the end it's up to you, so whatever floats your boat.

10. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    hehe i never usually post here

unless someone says stupid things about ashborys or mentions Stagg basses

just lurk

cheers
    Lucy

11. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Let me go off on an off topic rant here. I hear people who are like "I fried the BX1200 in 10 minutes."... Then I hear people who say "I've had the bx1200 for 1 year, and it's a durable, well sounding amp."

Either someone's trying to flex nuts, or someone doesn't take care of their stuff. I mean... I've been know to crank stuff, but if you don't do stupid stuff like feedback the amp, or crank all the eqs all the way along with the master, your amp SHOULD last longer than 10 minutes, if it's duct taped together.

[/rant]

12. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    just to chip in i add a behringer 2*10 to my ashdown combo for bigger venues

ethically they may well be questionable

but sound/quality wise there is **** all wrong with it

theres a lot of snobbery about cheap gear

i say if it works for you then use it

cheap does not always equate with bad

cheers
    Lucy

13. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    woah lol how prudish is this board

it ****ed my F-word

laughs
    Lucy

14. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i think you should fix the pot. it doesn't seem like you need a secondary bass if you can't afford it.

15. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I was actually thinking about an Acoustic/electric, but I want a secondary because this one falls out of tune sometimes, and it's good to have one for when that happens.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

It's never a bad idea to have more than 1 bass, but "falling out of tune" is a rather unusual reason for doing so...

- georgestrings

17. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Whenever I bend, it flattens out. But meh. I like the diversity of the two also. Plus, when I play on stage, even in practice, my guitar gets waterlogged. Ick. Good idea to have two so one can dry while you hammer on the other one.