thinkin bought gettin swr workmans combo 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by defoke, Jun 16, 2004.

1. defoke

Apr 25, 2004
    i played one the other day at G.C
    i like the tone everything about it

but before i bought it did a lil research
    i have heard alot about these amps crappin out
    something like ever since fender bought SWR
    their amps turned to ****e

anyone have an opinion on this,
    or can recomend an amp similar in price and features

need a 150 watt + bass amp by the 4th of july

2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    By all means check out the peavey tnt 115. I've got one and man it's smokin! I never have to put the volume above 9 oclock thats how loud it is. It also has an external speaker, 5 year warrenty and it's peavey so it's essecntially indestructible!! But it weighs a good 80 pounds. Not to mention its costs about half as much as the SWR WM 15.
  3. smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    I own one. It's a great amp. Very efficient at 160w (The newer ones are 160w). In other words its very loud. But it is designed to produce room filling low end all the way down to the B string. It may not cut through as well (for loud rock situations) as other amps which may emphasise the low mids more. But I love it for funk, latin and jazz. Great tone.

Fender just recently bought SWR. I have trouble believing they have already altered the production process for these amps, but I could be wrong. Mine has been very reliable and I have not heard of problems with this amp.

That said, it is 70lbs which is not light. and I have just started using EA gear which is way more pricey but much more portable (I spent about $1500 on an iamp500 and 2 wizzy 1-12 cabs) The EA gear is more balanced string to string and more hi fi (The SWR WM15 tends to make the lower strings louder, I think) but I am reluctant to part with WM15.

BTW, I think the previous build of WM-15's were 160W into 8ohms, but without the casters are 60lbs. If you can get one used, that might be the way to go. Mine has casters and it's 70lbs.

Just don't get the early WM15 which is only 120W into 8ohms. That's not enough juice.

Probably more info than you needed... ;)
  4. I sold my big rig and I'm down to just a Workingman's 15 combo. Lovin' it. It sounds awesome with my basses. I'm surprised at how much I'm digging the sound of the 15, after experimenting with 10s and 12s for the past five years.