Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinkin' my Morley Bass wah sucks, but what to replace it with?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ModulusAcacia, Jan 17, 2004.

1. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    well the title says it all. Here's my delemia/set-up: my pedals go (in order from 1st in chain to last) Wah, fulltone choralflange, Fulltone bassdrive, old ass OC-2, and line 6 DL4 (the delay modeler). every time in engage the morley (currently running with the power supply) theres a huge amount of ugly distorion for the first 10-20% of the sweep, and when it's not engaged when i slap on my E string there's a weird click that come from it. When i take the morley out of the chain the click disappears. I need a wah effect for a lot of the stuff I do, and the sweep echo in the DL4 isn't cutting it the way a wah does. so my question: what's the best wah out there, the morley doesn't do it, but what then? I like the switchless system like the morley, but would rather have good tone. any ideas? I love the fulltone stuff, does their Clyde wah work for bass? help bass-o wah kenobies, you're my only hope...

2. I really like my Dunlop 105q. It's a mechanical wah but very sturdy, and I haven't had any problems with it for the 4 years I've owned it. There's a volume knob and a q-knob, that defines the amount of "quack" you want. Only thing that's anoying - atleast 'till you know how to deal with it - is the delay before it switches of. On he newer models it should be adjustable right down to no delay at all, but mine is fixed. Hope it helps.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I use and love the Boss V-Wah. As well as programmable range, it also has different wah types. You can store three wah programs in memory and cycle between them pretty easily.

4. Does the Boss work well for bass? Was it meant as a guitar wah, or a "universal wah"?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I keep it simple but reliable. Dunlop GCB-100. Classic crybaby sound.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It works great on bass, you can adjust the frequency range if you want as well.

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've been thinking about trying the Boss wah you're talking about. Only thing that's stopped me has been a few reviews saying it was pretty noisy and/or difficult to get a useable sound. I currently have a Morley Power Wah (Blue one) and I like the fact that you don't have to engage a switch to turn it on and off...you just start stepping on it. I don't like the fact that when I use it it retains very little low end and the sweep range on it doesn't seem very wide.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I've been digging the Rocktron Black Cat lately. It's basically 3 wahs in one (2 guitar and 1 bass) and has a distortion circuit built in. If I could find a Crybaby 105Q without the delay at teh beginning I'd go for that. But for now, the Rocktron works for me.

9. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ive got a snarling dogs bawl buster... its uh... different. has three wah modes to it (really frequency selectors) its built like a tank. only problem ive had is that when you turn the 3 position frequency selector knob when the wah is engaged you get a pop. not realy a big problem though as you most likely wont be changing wah types while its engaged (its a knob on the side of the pedal) i love it, but you should try it out first, it has a different sound to it.

10. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I also LOVE the Crybaby 105Q. The delay it has is annoying, but mine is the newer one that has the dial so it can be turned off. The older ones can be modified easily enought to kill the delay too. The way it turns on and off is way superior to the original wahs, and the Q and volume controls give you great control over the tone.

11. I have the 105q. It kicks ass. I think it's the best bass wah there is. It carries the bass signal really, really well. You don't loose any low end, and the q control is a brilliant idea. I would recommend it to anyone.

12. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
  13. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    Another vote for the V-Wah...Im using mine in a similar effects chain. Aside from wah effects my fav use for this is to engage the distortion and select the synth mode. Kick on the DL4 and you have instant eddie jobson. Love it. We used to open shows w/ that sound.

My only beef w/ v-wah is i think you need to press way to hard to get the damn thing to turn on.

14. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've got one of the blue morley wahs and I love it. It's so nice not having to stomp forward on the pedal to turn it on and I think it sounds fine.

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That is true. It's not as easy on/off as the Dunlop. I have a 3 loop loooper pedal and have the v-wah in it's own separate loop. As the loooper also has a master bypass, I can select 1-3 loops and turn them all on/off with the bypass at the same time. Handy for times when I go between fuzz alone or fuzz & wah (one band I'm in does No Quarter from time to time).

16. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    always done that? I have had mine for years and never had a problem (except when the battery is running low and then I get a click when I step on it). But I have never plugged it into the wall. Try calling morley, I bet they will help you out.