1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinkin' Nickel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brutal bassist, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I'm thinking about switching to nickles because i heard they last longer, any comments? yea, nea?

2. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I put Fender 7150s and leave them on until they die. This time is measured in years for me... I'll admit to being a hobbyist who doesn't sweat on strings all that much, but prior to using these I would get maybe 6 months out of stainless DRs. I love the 7150s, strongly recommend giving them a shot. Locally they're about $22 per 4-string set. Do a quick search on 7150 and sunbeams and you'll find a lot of happy users.

3. I always come back to nickels due to the tone. I'm currently running sunbeams, but actually prefer TI Super Alloys.

4. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    SS gives a great slap tone when they're fresh, but nickles sound better down the road IMO. Nickles are more "soft" to the touch as well so they feel great.

5. I don't know if they last longer, but I use nickel rounds for there warm/bright tones, and ease on the fingers, and that's more important to me. On a side note my new SR405 came with Elixirs that I'm really liking - they're so easy on the fingers (really slick),and sound great. I think they're steel (rounds) with the nano coating.

6. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I used to use Rotosound swingjazz nickels exclusively- very bright yet warm, last forever, feel great. Stopped because I tune down now and can't find any heavier than 0.95 E's, but I think I might go back and put some on one of my Stingrays.

7. nbtone

nbtone

May 13, 2008
    Marketing Exec. Newbasstone, Inc
    I like the D'Addario Nickel Wounds. Rotosounds play better, but they don't seem to have enough tone. There might be better ones. I haven't tried them all.

8. the thing about rotos is that they come in akward sizes. like 45 65 80 105. i know they have a set like that but with an 85, its just hard to come by.