thinkin of going 5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Sep 30, 2002.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    howdy... its me... i am gonna try and make some of u un-unlike me... this will be a pretty intellgent post...;)

I am thinking of getting a five string bass... maybe a carvin or a warwick corvette standard... i would consider a fender but the fender 5's i have played dont have that much growl to them... ibanez perhaps...

or i am still in love with that peavey g-bass down at the local join for 327$... 4 string... all active... one soap bar PUP... graphite neck by modulus..bla bla

suggestions would be nice....

HEY!!! i could even learn to the play the 2 4's i already got! *good thinking mike!*
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Wait, so what are you asking for then? Do you want to know if you should switch to a five-string, do you want our opinions on the ones you suggested, or do you want us to suggest different ones? And why are you mentioning a new four if you are asking if you should switch to a five? Little help here! Maybe you should think about it a little more thoroughly...
  3. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    i just wanna know if what would be a good 5 stringer for a beginning 5'er... i dont want a cheapy. i want something i can gig with at the local pizza joint with... or if i should learn to play the 4 like a real bassist then go to five...
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Well, if you want to switch to a five, you don't need any excuses or reasons or permission to get one. You can use your money on whatever you want. As far as "learning to 4s" you already own, well, a five probably won't be any easier to learn on, but that doesn't mean you have to learn on a four-string first. It's a pretty ludicrous opinion that bassists have to learn on a four first; no one ever tells drummers that they should start on a cowbell and should only move up to a four-piece after they master that cowbell. Again, it's your money; buy what you want.

Anywho, you should give us an idea of the type of sound you want and what your price range is if you want some suggestions for a new five. There's a lot of basses that can be had in all price ranges, so whatever info you can give us would help.
  5. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    Well, i like the dark tones the dude from rammstein gets... but i also like the brightness that punk bands have... so i guess something that really changes when the tone is messed with..
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Think of it as "math" - I've found, (as have many others), easier to play a 5-string as opposed to a 4-string. For one thing, you can play more "horizontally" or "across" the strings as opposed to "vertically" or "up and down" (where you MUST know your scales and octaves). Plus, a "D" on a B string just delivers so much more than a "D" on the A string; 5th fret).

The trick with the B string is you need to know when to judiciously use it - i.e., without overkill.

Use it too much, and you sound like any detuned, tatooed, nu-metal bunch in short pants with and goatees (conformists who pretend to be "non-conformists" :rolleyes: ).

But, use it tastefully and it adds so much more, IMO.
  7. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    i just switched to 5. I love it! i dont have any problem playng it or slapping it or anything. Just got be a customized warwick 5 and it sounds way better then my music man sterling.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I understand why you would want to get a cheap 5.. if you don't like it.. you didn't loose much.. But I would spend as much on a 5 as I would any other bass. Making the switch from a 4 to a 5 really isn't a big deal. I've only owned one 4 string.. it was my first bass... making the change was easy..
  9. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    awsome.. any tips on what would be a good bass to get?
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah how about a MTD kingston 5.. you can get them used for about $375 and that is a great deal IMO
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What you want is a Fender Roscoe Beck V. You will have more growl than a puma in a cactus patch. And, no apologies necessary. You will need a drool rag, however, to wipe off the slobber of envious onlookers.
  12. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Go for five, I am one of those that think 5 is easier to play than 4. MTD Kingston is a good suggestion. Lakland Skylines are terrific basses for the price.
  13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I also think a 5 is easier to play than a 4. A used Kingston would be a great starter bass.
  14. I remember the 1st gig I played on a 5 string after playing a 4 for 30 years. I just had to rethink everything I played. No point in having a low B string if you arn't going to use it. At first I played too many low notes on the low B. (new toy) but after a while I began to use the Low B as an integral part of the instrument and not an addition. I found 2 things easier to do with a 4 string than on a 5 string. 1) Slap style is just easier and more fun with a 4 string. I don't know exactly why but it just is for me. 2) Reading printed bass music is much easier for me on a 4 string because I learned to read using a 4 string. I own 2) 4-string and 3) 5-string basses. I just about always use a 5-string when I gig. It is much easier now than playing a 4.

As to what would be a good 5-string to start with? Your gonna have to play as many as you can to answer that question. Neck width and string spacing play a huge role in how the thing will feel to you and how hard it will be for you to make the transition. For instance, Ibanez 5 string basses have a neck that is almost as thin as most 4 stringers. The 2 I have owned had a nut of 1 5/8" (same as a new P bass ) I found them easy on my left hand as I have a relatively small hand. The string spacing at the bridge was also real close. This made it difficult to dig in when I wanted to. I felt like it really cramped my style. Fender on the other hand believes that the string spacing should be at least the same as a Jazz. So they make the nut 1 7/8" and the string spacing 3/4" at the bridge. GREAT only problem is that my small left hand started really hurting going into the 3rd set of a 5hr gig. After 8 yrs of buying and selling 5 string basses I've found 2 I can play for a long period of time. 1) StingRay 5 and 2) Lakeland 55. They have the neck witdth/string space combination I can live with. So as to recommending the right bass for you. Play-play-play until you find one that plays and sounds right to YOU.

15. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Fender Roscoe Beck -5 is a great bass for the money. Serious tone.
  16. All it takes is a little practice before the gig. Just reorient yourself with scales and patterns so you can figure out where you are on the instrument.

For me, the transition took place in shopping for the instrument. I tried so many 5's, I got used to playing on them from the test drives. By the time mine showed up, I was good to go. I'm sure it will be similar for you.
  17. I really like Mine it only Cost like $580 it has Active Sope bar pick-up's with a Blue Star Burst Finish its a great bass and has a great sound the only bad thing is it Eat's battries like no one's bisness but thats only one draw back to its many positive out looks but that is my segestion:cool:
  18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

nameless - Are you leaving it plugged in even when you put it down for a while???
  19. I have found the wider asymmetrical neck option on my Carvin LB75 has made playing the 5-string easier (I previously owned a Carvin B5 with narrower string spacing, and that didn't work). If you do order a new Carvin, consider this option.:)
  20. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    don't put cheapos out of mind. sometimes you can find a real deal if you shop right. sometimes a cheap bass can be made well and with a few mods can kick ass. buy with your hands, your wallet, and your heart in what makes you happy. not what others said was good or bad. only you can make that decision.

be happy in what you buy is the golden rule here, and post pics is another :p PEACE!!