1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about a cab change...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikgag, Sep 11, 2008.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Right now I'm using a Yorkville XS400 into an Avatar 212 (newer one) and I'm feeling it's pushing the cab a little too hard. We play loud Kyuss/Sabbath stoner rock as well as some fast punk stuff. What do you feel would be the better move for lessening the strain on the amp:

2x15 (older peavey w/BWs?)
    or
    6x10 (Ampeg maybe?)
    or
    8x8 (newer Traynor?)

The Avatar is a 4ohm so I can't add to it and I hate carrying multiple cabs.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd go 215, but that's me.

3. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    a 6x10 would certainly push some air providing the amp will accommodate. :)

4. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    cheap loud rock tone with modest watts? peavey 215bw deep version. it'll hang with whatever you need. if that doesn't work you need to invest in more pa gear. (actually that would probably be the smart move now, and keep your old cab)

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    *cough* 8x10!!!! *cough*

6. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Until I recently bought a 115BXBW I would have said to buy the Ampeg without hesitation. But the Peavey is a surprisingly good sounding cab. No reason to think the 215 would be different, and it'd be a whole lot cheaper than the Ampeg.

7. i would go with the 2x15 peavey, but i'd seriously consider getting 2 1x15 cabs... unless your band mates are cool with helping you move around a monster rig. i'd rather deal with 2 100 pound units than one 175. (those numbers were just examples, not actual specs)

8. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I have a 6x10 for sale. :D Its plenty deep and can handle anything you throw at it.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any of those choices would accomplish your goal.