1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about a Fender Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Nov 4, 2006.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I've been trying to sell my Schecter Scorpion for a while. It's a nice bass, but even with great strings and features, I just haven't found myself loving the low B (it's built to be tuned B-E-A-D). In fact, if I go below an open E, I usually just drop tune (which is why I might install a Hipshot Xtender on my other bass... but that's another story).

A while back, I saw a used left-handed Fender MIM Jazz in a local shop (the one I try pedals in all the time), and I've been using that bass ever since they acquired it to try out various pedals. I really like how it plays, to say the least, and the tone is appealing as well, although I'm not sure how it would sound on my GK rig. If I do get one, I'd customize the heck out of it, which would be fun. Maybe get a right-handed Jazz neck on it, and different pickups, re-do the finish and pickguard... Mostly just asthetic changes that I wouldn't dare do to my Scorpion.

I don't know why I didn't ask myself this question sooner... but I've been wondering... would it be worth trading the Scorpion for the Jazz? Am I crazy? Should I keep trying to sell the Scorpion and get something else?

Opinions appreciated :D

Oh, and here's some stock photos, in case anyone wants to compare one to the other:

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Simply put, we both like our effects, we both like our GK's. I love my Fender Jazzes... you probably would too.

I would trade the Scorpion for the Jazz, but that's me. Have you considered saving for the MIM Jazz? Layaway program? Some other alternative method of acquiring the bass?

3. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I really don't have much of an alternative - I have to get rid of something to get something else.

In a few months, that'll change, but for now, having more than two basses wouldn't work out for me financially.

Ideally, I'd like to have just two basses - each with their own style and tone. I thought the Scorpion would do it for me, but it's really become more of a "once-in-a-while" kind of bass because it has no G-string, and I don't use the B-string much. That, and I really love my Schecter Stiletto.

Hence, we've got my dilemma. :meh:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you don't use it more than once in a while, I see no reason to hang onto it.

When/if the need arises, it is more than possible to string up a MIM Jazz with the bottom strings of a five string set, which I've done on numerous occasions with great success.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    In my world I would much prefer the Jazz to the Scorpion - if it speaks to you when you play it, though, go for it! You'll just have to tweak your setup until you're happy. :)

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    IMO, get the Fender Jazz and don't ever look back!!!:)

7. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I love my Jazz bass. Get one :)

-Dash

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    If you could trade and come out all right it would be ok but on trades with music stores they have to make a profit so you won't get what you could if you wait and sell the Scorpion.Since you have a bass that you like already you might want to keep trying to sell so you have more money to use when you get something new.Jazzes trip my trigger so I wouldn't try to talk you out of one.I have a Schecter Elite 5 so I know you are well off for a gigging bass.

9. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, I'm aware of all that. It'd be interesting to see what they offer me, since I got a pretty good deal on the Scorpion. My Schecter Stiletto already is my designated gigging bass (for when our band can find the time to prepare a set of songs for practice), so the reason for my interest in the Jazz was for a different kind of sound.

I've thought about saving up for another Stiletto, too (I'm eyeing the Studio-4 and Studio-5 models).

Ah... tough decisions, tough decisions! :meh:

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

get rid of the "every once in a while" bass and get a consistent axe (the jazz).

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

You can never go wrong with the Jazz. Everybody should have one in their arsenal. Go for the Jazz.

12. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Your ideal to get both for diversity is applauded. They are both worthy and stand on their own, as should you.

Be good to yourself is my opinion, find a way to own both.:)

13. I'd say go for the Jazz, because they're fun to mod.

14. You have to think about getting a Jazz? :smug:

15. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Exactly what I was thinking! I love the body and neck style, and I can already see some creative mods for one in my head.

Umm... yeah... :meh:

I went to the local shop that's got the used Jazz, to see what they'd give me for my Scorpion... and they offered $175. That's a complete joke, IMO - now I know why their prices are so good on used gear...

If it doesn't sell in a few days, it's going on eBay, I think. I'm still not sure, though...

16. Just remember, if you put a righty neck on it, you'll miss the side dots, a lot. I have a lefty neck on my jazz, and I've yet to put on dots that can be seen in low light, it gets me all the time.