Thinking about a Fretless now, which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bkchang79, Aug 13, 2002.

1. I played the Warwick Jack Bruce sig model and I absolutly fell in love with it. Too bad it cost an arm and a leg. What's a cheap, but good fretless bass I can upgrade stuff on? I was looking at the Mexico made Fender Jazz bass and then adding on a badass bridge and EMGs. What else should I look at? My price range is no more then $400 retail.
  2. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I got a fretless MIJ Jazz Bass used for $175 CDN (~$115 US). Look around and you should be able to find some sort of good deal like that.
  3. i think you answered your own question bkchang. for a relatively cheap, but good bass, i'd say go with a MIM fender jazz, that'd also definitely be a perfect candidate for upgrading. even better, i'd say try to find a used MIA standard jazz. that would probably be around the same price as the MIM (once done with upgrades and the such) and you would possibly not even want to upgrade the MIA. good luck!

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i have a black with white pickguard mim fretless jazz with upgraded EMGs and BadAssII bridge.

selling for $300.

taking a bath on this one.

hard shell case too...
  5. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    If you like a blank board over a lined one, look for a used MIJ Jazz.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My first choice would be Fred's hot rodded MIM.

My second would be a Cort Artisan B4FL.

My third would be an MTD Kingston fretless.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Once you add the bridge and EMGs you're wwwaaayyy over $400. (plus just read this thread to see about the resale - and make a compelling case for buying used) So maybe you should consider something else?

I have a Dean Edge 5 fretless and I really love it. I think that an Edge 4 would be in your price range, and would have a high mass bridge from the factory. If you get an older year model it may even have nice sounding EMG-HZ pickups like mine.

Take a look. IMO a much better instrument than a modded MIM Fender Jazz (I've owned both and they're both quite good. .....but I no longer own the MIM Jazz ;)).

Used basses offer a lot more bang for the buck than new ones. Read the posts above this.
  8. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Why must I always be the advocate for a C.Curbow? Wheres Luis Fabara when you need him? Damn. :p

If you havent caught on already, I suggest you try out a Cort Curbow fretless. In your price range and sounds good. Try it out, you'd be surprised.
  9. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Althoug I am not a Fender fan by any means, you may just want to go with the straight up Fender MIM Jazz and see how you like it, before you start changing things. Remember, Jaco didn't change the bridge or pickups on his bass.

Personally, I think the Badass is a worthwhile touch. I also changed my bridge pickup to a Bartolini 9Js which doesn't require an onboard preamp because I prefer the bartolini growl to the fender tone. However, the least expensive and most important modification I made to my J-bass was coating the fretboard with polyurethane and changing the strings to roundwounds --both of which competely changed the tone (for the better IMHO).

My point here is that the MIM J-frettles is a very good deal for the money (particularly used) and you may be best off starting with a basic used J-bass fretless and see how you like it before sinking in lots of money and routing work.
  10. Thanks for the ideas, but what does MIM mean? Is it mexican made basses?
  11. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I have a Fender Jaco fretless that I'm selling. Anyone wants a great fretless? Thinking about $900.

12. Nice Bass man, but I can't afford 900. Sorry
  13. Man this is a tough choice. I like the fact that the Fender fretless has lines on it, but I have 2 other fenders. I want to try something new like the Cort's. What's the difference between the aristan and curbow? I like the look of the curbow and I'll check it out tomorrow. The price is the same though. Does the Cort fretless come with an option of lines? I also like the Dean edge 4fl and I'll check that out too. MTD looks good too, but no dealer is close to me.
  14. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played a Cort Curbow in the store and it's a hell of a bass. Very very nice.
  15. We have an MIJ Fender P fretless here that's going for $410. I know that's a little over your price range, but it's a good bass. It's used, of course, but everything is in perfect order, and it has that "Experianced" look, not that faked "Relic" crap that Fender puts out.

Rock on
  16. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    The Cort Curbows come with no lines. But I guess you could order a fretted Cort Curbow from Greg Curbow himself, and have him defret it, for cheap. The result would be it having lines.

Otherwise, great bass, good price, and if you dont care its not wood (luthite is just as good as wood tone-wise), its good for you. Just get the setup nice and low and you'll really like it.
  17. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fretlines?? Fretlines?? We don't need no stinking fretlines!!! :)

Seriously, my first fretless is my Dean Edge 5 which is unlined and I don't have too much of a really big problem with intonation. (like the ambiguity of that last statement?;) )
  18. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    I played a fretless Bass Collection. Was very nice.

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I have a Cort Curbow 5 fretless. It was definitely worth the money I paid for it. It does have a very thin neck and narrow string spacing, but I like that so it's ok.