Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about a J-bass PU swap.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Dec 17, 2005.

1. I have a MIM Fretless Fender Jazz. I've had it for about 3 years now and I love it to death, it plays great. But I'm getting bored with the sound of it. It sounds very boring in my opinion, not enough life in the tone.
    I'm thinking about a new set of PU's, probably passive. Any suggestions? What sounds good on a Jazz bass (remember, fretless). I just want to have a good tone range, clean bright highs and fat round lows. I've heard good things about the Seymore Duncan Basslines.

2. SD's are good pups...

tell me, what kinds of strings have you used on your bass so far? and what are you currently using and why? just curious..

3. The bass came with Fender flats on it, which sucked. Then I switched to D'Addario Chromes.
    But sometimes I use ErnieBall Hybrid Slinky roundwounds, just cause they sound awesome on a fretless (TONS of mwah). They don't wear down the fretboard that bad if you only use them once in a while. I've had 3 sets of them on it so far and there's barely any wear.

Right now, that's what I'm using, the Ernie Balls.

Oh and...uhh..why is this important?

4. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    i have a set of bassline 1/4 pounders in my mia jazz and love them to death. they are very hot and aggressive for passive pickups. if thats what you are looking for you wont be disapointed.

5. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    I'm using Nordstrands, they rock.

6. Make sure your MIM has the new-style pickups. This was introduced about 2000 +/-.

Older MIM used the same pickup in both positions (bridge?) and they do not hum cancel. The MIA and new MIM use opposite wound pickups in those respective positions, so they hum cancel.

The bridge is wider than the neck pickup.

Once this is known, the world is your oyster for standard sized (MIA) replacment J pickups. The choices are almost unlimited for 4-string Jazz.

There are single coils and humbuckers. Tone is different. Bilateral hum cancelling pickups (DiMarzio) are closer to single coil tone, where stacked humbuckers are farther away from it. Not good or bad, just different. YMMV as to what you like.

Hot pickups are "over wound" and tend to boost mids and cut bottom. This also affects highs. There are a number of reviews available, I suggest you read ALL of Luknfur's Dr. Dimento series posts on J basses. Much knowledge to be gained here.

Vintage pickups have lower output, less brazen mids, and sound "old school" because they are old school.

I like DiMarzio Model J because I want an aggressive J sound, and no hum.