1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about a Markbass CMD102P

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drang22, Nov 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Drang22

Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver Colorado
    Thinking about purchasing this amp....anybody have any experience with them and willing to share pluses or minuses?

2. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    It depends on what you’re playing. That being said I have one and love it. It’s light, powerful and you can add an extension cab. I’ve used it with both a 210 and 410 and it sounded great. Can’t think of any minuses.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

4. Drang22

Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver Colorado
    Thanks Spent. I'm playing a Marcus Miller Jazz with round wounds, fingerstyle with the pickups usually in passive mode. I rarely play any slap (which I suppose is a bit weird given the MM bass...).

5. Drang22

Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver Colorado
    Thanks mmbongo. I have a small GK practice amp that I like pretty well, but I haven't seen any GK's at the music stores around here for awhile. I would definitely like to try that one out. What do you think would be the difference in sound between 10 inch and 12 inch speakers?

6. Minuses-1. With the cab being a tiltback, you lose a little bit in the low lowend.

2. The piezo tweeter is very harsh compared to the MB 210 with the regular horn tweeter.

Pluses- I've worked mine steadily for the past 8 years and it hasn't hiccupped once. Very happy with my CMD102p.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

The GK with 12's will be louder, deeper and fuller sounding.

8. 73BLow

73BLow Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central MA
    I had the CMD102 about 10 years ago and really liked the sound/quality. I use a GK MB 210 II now. I am thinking about getting a Fender Rumble 500 too because I like their vintage sound and I like to buy stuff.

I can't speak to the current quality of the CMD, but I think they are overpriced compared to their current 2x10 combo competition.

9. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have to agree with those suggesting GK. I got a great deal on mu MB CMD 102P used. I also agree that they are pricey for what they are. The GK MB 210 II is a lot less $ and a great amp. Given the choice now, I'd go for the GK.

10. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I just went through this same process myself, and I ended up with the Markbass. I’ve only used it once out of the house, but I’m very happy with it. It sounds very good, is plenty loud, and is easy to schlep. It also fits great in the back of my car.
    F577E89F-A823-48C2-A051-53FA9BBA1A06.

I looked at the GK 212, but I did not like lifting it. It might seem like a small thing, but all my stuff is in the bass-ment :D, so I’m going up and down stairs with it whenever I take it out of the house, and the GK didn’t balance well with the single strap handle on the top. With the MB, I can load in and out easily in one trip. Of course, ymmv.

SJan3 likes this.
  11. SJan3

SJan3 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Perhaps he should LISTEN to both as they are quite competitive on paper but each has its strengths.
    Also, the quality control of MarkBass products is excellent. Place of manufacture has no bearing here.
    P.S. The GK is 500watts internal and I don't believe you can add an unpowered cab to it. You can with the MarkBass. That may be a factor down the road.

Fred312b likes this.