Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about a Mesa head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuggierox, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Nuggierox

Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    I have an Ampeg SVT 4 that I am wanting to sell / trade for something but I am not sure what .... I have seen a lot of Mesa stuff floating around but I have never tried their amps. For those of you that have them, what kind of tones can I expect? I have read that they have a lot of tone shaping ability, but what is their raw sound like? I currently use an Ibanez prestiege 5 string, does anyone here use a similar combo? If so, tell me what you think of that sound.

Peace,
    Marshall

2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    mesa bass 400+ is an amazing amp. I could not imagine wanting another amp. Incredibly powerful, really warm, and clear. Crank the gain and you can get some sweet tube overdrive. The treble is very crisp, but not harsh at all, the tubes help smooth out any harshness in the treble. Very full bottom... basically, it's totally awesome.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well... that's a bit of a general question. They have Simul-State and tube amps. Also the have two different types of simul-state.

But generally, all over. Warm, clean and punchy.

4. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i used to play a prestige sr5005 through a mesa 400+, and the sound was wonderful! more than enough power for nearly any situation, and LOTS of tone shaping possibilities. between pull switches on the eq knobs to a switchable graphic eq, dial in whatever kind of sound you want- you just can't go wrong with this combo.... kind of hard to describe the "raw" tone, really "tubey"; warm, punchy, and articulate. i never really used any eq on the amp or my bass, and it cut wonderfully. although i'm sure they're wonderful, i've never played any of the other mesa amps- i really prefer tubes amd this amp was the only choice as far as i was concerned.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a Mesa 400 that I absolutely love. BUT, if I had an SVT-4, I'd love it too. Maybe not quite as much, but certainly enough that I wouldn't lose money on a trade for a Mesa. What exactly do yo dislike about your SVT-4?

6. Nuggierox

Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    From what I can tell, I would actually make money on a trade like that or at least break even ... but business aside, I just never have been a big fan of the Ampeg sound. I got the SVT 4 because I had 2 other amps crap out on me and I needed something reliable for touring and when I bought it Ampeg had an at least somewhat reliable name. Speaking of which, since I do a lot of heavy touring I am rather rough on my equipment despite the roadcases I had made ... so I don't know if a tube head would be a good idea, can anyone tell me about how Mesa Basis - 2000's and the M Pulse 600 sound?

7. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I took my Mesa 400+ on tour a few times..it was fine. Get a shock mount case if you are worried about it. It's a great amp.

8. M-Pulse 600s sound quite excellent. I would recommend that or a Big Block 750, depending on how much EQ you want to play with. That said, it probably wouldn't be too hard to keep a 400+ running. They're not that fragile.

9. I still have my 2000 and just sold my MPulse. I also gave the 750 a serious tryout. Here's my take....

2000.... Lot's and lot's of knobs and control. If you are a tweaker, it's wonderful. This is a very different sounding head than the 600 and 750. The solid state section is extremely mid rangy and punchy... the tube section is similar to the 600. If you mix the two, you really can get an amazing sound, with the huge low and singing highs of the tube section combined with the massive mid punch on the transistor section. That being said, it can sound REALLY bad also, given the huge amount of tone shaping options (e.g., there are six treble controls (!)... two shelving rotary controls, two graphic EQ's with sliders in the treble range, and two bright switches (one on each preamp). Whew!

600... the most 'tube' sounding hybrid I've ever played. Since I'm a transistor guy, it was just a little too 'tubby' for me... just personal taste. It had that HUGE bottom of a traditional tube amp. One thing I really didn't like was the very low center point for the treble control (740hz). I would think if you are a rocker with a PBass and a pick, this head would be amazing.

750... only played this at home for a day... again very different from the 600.... very much (IMO) an old school SVT type vibe.... strictly a 'rock' head IMO. My main complaint with the head is that the 750 watts is at 2ohms. I found it lacking presence and volume in a more typical 4ohm load.