thinking about a new 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Sep 20, 2003.

1. I am looking for a new 5er, I have played a bunch of stuff and here is what I have it narrowed down to for my top 2.

Peavey Cirrus
    G&L L2500

I dig the cirrus but I play mostly rock and blues music so G&L might work best for my style. both seem like awesome basses, and play great. what do you think?
  2. I think you answered your question.....and either way, there is no wrong choice....but between the two of them, I think the Cirrus will have the better of the B strings, cuz of the 35'' scale and all..

I own an L2500, and love it through and through, have even used my head to break a fall so that I wouldn't put a dent in the bass or an imperfection on the finish.....heh...
  3. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    tough choice. depends on your style tho. i have heard great things about g&ls but have never played one. i just got my peavey millennium and it is a beauty. such great craftsmanship. i would just plug them both in and see what kinds of sounds you can get through them. i know the cirus has an 18-volt preamp and is extremely quiet and the VFL pickups are highly thought of. but, the MFDs in the 2500 are also highly thought of. the g&l is more of a classic bass look, the cirus is more of something youd see mr loyd playing in church. (actually, he plays a modulus.) so, its really up to you. two great basses, two different looks. you decide.
  4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

A man with a case of "Bass Inertia " You must really love that bass!!

Take two asprin and call me in the morning! :p
  5. thanks for the replies. I am also considering a Music Man stingray 5. I have played all of these and they all seemd good on the electronics and low b tension. my main thing is that I really can't afford one of these new so I am searching the used market for a good deal. I like the cirrus but am woundering how it would do in a more rock to hard rock oriented setting. it seems like are more refined kind of bass. it would seem that the SR5 or L2500 would have a tone more suited for rock stuff. in general have you found the Low B's on L2500's to be pretty good?
  6. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio