1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

thinking about a new 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Sep 20, 2003.

1. I am looking for a new 5er, I have played a bunch of stuff and here is what I have it narrowed down to for my top 2.

Peavey Cirrus
    G&L L2500

I dig the cirrus but I play mostly rock and blues music so G&L might work best for my style. both seem like awesome basses, and play great. what do you think?

2. I think you answered your question.....and either way, there is no wrong choice....but between the two of them, I think the Cirrus will have the better of the B strings, cuz of the 35'' scale and all..

I own an L2500, and love it through and through, have even used my head to break a fall so that I wouldn't put a dent in the bass or an imperfection on the finish.....heh...

3. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    tough choice. depends on your style tho. i have heard great things about g&ls but have never played one. i just got my peavey millennium and it is a beauty. such great craftsmanship. i would just plug them both in and see what kinds of sounds you can get through them. i know the cirus has an 18-volt preamp and is extremely quiet and the VFL pickups are highly thought of. but, the MFDs in the 2500 are also highly thought of. the g&l is more of a classic bass look, the cirus is more of something youd see mr loyd playing in church. (actually, he plays a modulus.) so, its really up to you. two great basses, two different looks. you decide.

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m

A man with a case of "Bass Inertia " You must really love that bass!!

Take two asprin and call me in the morning! :p

5. thanks for the replies. I am also considering a Music Man stingray 5. I have played all of these and they all seemd good on the electronics and low b tension. my main thing is that I really can't afford one of these new so I am searching the used market for a good deal. I like the cirrus but am woundering how it would do in a more rock to hard rock oriented setting. it seems like are more refined kind of bass. it would seem that the SR5 or L2500 would have a tone more suited for rock stuff. in general have you found the Low B's on L2500's to be pretty good?

6. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio