1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about a new Hanewinckel...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzucker, May 1, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    OK, I'm being neurotic I know...:meh:

I have a pair of Hanewinckel 6 stringers. They are both artist series (I found out from Pete today).

One is a neck-through fretted and the other is a bolt on fretless. The bolt on has more growl and is lighter.

They both have the 5 piece necks, pau ferro boards, alder bodies and maple tops and the same pickups and electronics.

I know it's not an apples/apples comparison but based on the more growly bolt on (and the lighter weight) I'm considering having Pete make me a bolt-on version of the fretted bass and selling my neck through.

Other than the fact that I'm neurotic, does anyone have any comments they could share ?

P.S.

If anyone has a Hanewinckel bolt-on 6 they'd like to trade for a neck through, I'm listening... :D

2. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    It sounds like you want to get more growl from a fretted bass, but I'm thinking that even though both your basses use the same woods, the fact that you have strings on frets vs. strings on wood would make a big difference. In other words, I'm uncertain as to the increase in growl just from going to a bolt on from a neck-thru.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

My feeling from owning many bolt on and neck through basses is that the woods, the weight, and other stuff has a lot more to do with the sound differences than the bolt on versus neck through ( you mention the bolt-on is lighter... that's probably the ticket). That being said... all the more reason to go for a bolt-on... simpler, less expensive, etc.

Just make sure you really think about the woods and electronics... much more impact than bolt-on versus neck through IMO. Not that there's no difference... but not as much as different densities of body woods, etc.

IME and IMO of course....

4. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks guys. I'm sure you're both right. The other thing is that I'm splitting hairs in terms of the tone. The neck through gets great tones. Mainly it's the weight and comfort. Even if the bolt on sounded exactly the same as my neck through, if it were as light as the fretless I'd like it more. Just not sure it's worth an extra $1000 for the 2lbs in weight reduction! :)

5. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    You can always get another type of Hane that'll complement your other two. Maybe different pickup type or placement.

Me thinks you're looking for any excuse to buy a well-made, quality instrument at a competitive price...I say go for it!

6. Jomyo

Jomyo

Oct 6, 2005
    Redwood City, CA
    A new Hanewinckel is a good thing. :bassist: