Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about a Squire Precision....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Oxley, Nov 22, 2004.

1. J. Oxley

J. Oxley

Nov 22, 2004
    Australia
    I have only been playing for about 8 months, im 15 years old and work a minimum wage in a supermarket. But i feel i should buy a new bass... I own a cheap Aria Pro bass my parents bought me. Its got a nice sound but i just dont like the look of it. (yes i am aware i sound very stupid) I am seriously in love with the fender precision, (well just fender in general) but they cost like 2 grand AUS. I dont think that with my supermarket job earning 180 a week i would be able to get one all that soon... So i want to go for the next best thing, a Squire. I found a nice sunburst one for $600 AUS... i tried it and i like the feel of it and of course the appearance, but before i go ahead and get it.. is there any dirty secrets i should know about the fender squire..? yeah i know its a cheap korean/japanise built bass but other than that....

2. A Squire has zilch for resale value. You will no doubt want to move up, and will lose most/all the investment in the Squire, especially if purchased new.

If you buy used, your investment won't be lost.

For example, buy a used Mexican (MIM = Made-In-Mexico) Fender, either a J or P, depending on your pleasure.

Buy it used from eBay. Be careful and try to pay no mor than 66% of new-discount (read: Musician's Friend) price. Look for a 2001 or newer, serial MZ1xxx or higher.

I am an experience player and own two MIM Fenders, a fretless-J and standard P-bass. I will not be able to "outplay" these basses, most likely ever. Both are keepers.

Congrats on paying your own way with the supermarket work. There is a whole lot more respect earned that way instead of "Mom, buy me a bass." Take care of your hard earned bux and buy something of quality, used.

3. Totally agree.

I bought a (what is now) vintage 1966 Gibson Bass in 1974, which I financed from my own income, and suffice to say I still have it today.

She is still much loved and sometimes even gets to come out of the flightcase and be played! :)

4. I would never play another squire P bass after I played the one my old school had. It was the worst bass I have ever played, even worse than a cheap Encore bass. I would save for a while, and buy a really good bass, like a real second hand P bass(if you lvoe it that much). Have you considered some of the Japanese Fender copies, like Tokai ? They are very good basses for the money.

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've had a lefty Squier P-Bass Special(like a P-Bass but with a J-pickup and J-neck)for about 4 years now. I use it in the third act of our show, averaging 10 shows a month. It has held up very well, and has a nice range of tones, from deep bass to bright treble. You need to use no heavier than a 100 E string as the trus rod can't handle any heavier, I've tried. But with a 100-40 set it has nice low action. For the price it's a great bass, mine has logged many hundreds of road/air miles and aside from a few body dings, it's in great shape.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    How come everyone spells the name "Squier" "Squire", even people who own Squier instruments?

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Get a used bass off Ebay Australia, there's some rox0r stuff there. You'll probably be a lot happier.