1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thinking about adding a minor to my degree.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Sep 17, 2008.

1. i am a music education major, and i am thinking about adding Spanish as a minor.

am i frigging nuts?

wouldn't officially be able to do this until spring semester. perhaps ill have to talk to one of the academic counselors :meh:

2. You don't have to have a minor? In Canada is pretty much required.

lowsound

3. you can get a 4 year degree in nothing here in the states.:meh:

music education is actually considered a double major because you have to take the classes on teaching, psychology, and music. hence the am i frigging nuts thread.:)

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Anything you can add to your CV is a plus when you are out looking for a job.

I would suggest a MA in teaching if you are interested in working in teaching Music at the secondary level. Big +1
    for the job search.

5. In Canada you have to have an actual "major", but you can usually just make one up after four years.

lowsound

6. yes i know without a masters in music you are only qualified to learn more.:meh:

i plan to get a masters and teach while working on a doctorate.

Spanish would give me the ability to either teach Spanish, or look for employment in Spanish speaking countries :)

7. You don't HAVE to have a minor in Canada. I know plenty of people who have a major and thats it. Heck, I didn't declare a minor until halfway through my education.

8. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    What about augmented or diminished? Wouldn't that be more exciting?
    :bag:

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I used to carry a Spanish minor around with me for menial tasks. Fernando was quite useful and always happy to oblige. However, his mother got upset and now I use a Korean minor. Little Jung Kee is also a great asset. I say go for it. :)

10. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Wait a minute!

You are adult now, but come spring you'll be minor? And then you'll add Spanish? Am I missing something?

11. yes, something like that.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    LMAO :D

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You can do that; just flat the third.

14. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I think there are rules around doing that stuff with A minor. I think you'd be better off sticking to the happy major keys.

15. it is all relative.;)

16. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Oh so you had to take it there. Incest is wrong and immoral.

17. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I often incest on points I want to defend, and people don't really get offended.

18. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I often offend just with smells.

19. Well played.

20. in case anyone is wondering i am a strict follower of the 17 will get you 20 rule/law.

although they didn't make them like that when i was that age. :D